new here - is this normal?
    rjconley is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default new here - is this normal?

I signed up my 4 yr old daughter last weekend. I felt like she needed some sort of structured school this year because she basically taught herself to read this summer and just really started to put it all together right around her birthday, which was the end of July. I knew the preschool level would be too easy, so I raised all of her subjects one level.

Well, since we started on Monday, she has completed half of the kindergarten math bubbles and completed 3 of the 13 language chapters. She would do time4learning all day if I let her! This morning she was devastated when we told her she couldn't do school b/c it's the weekend. She has struggled a little bit with the math, but I just have her come away from the computer and I keep trying to explain it in different ways until it 'clicks' with her.

Is it normal for kids to love it this much or to go this fast at the beginning? Should I limit her on how many lessons she does? Is it OK to let her go so far ahead in the language and go a little slower in the other subjects?

Sorry I have so many questions ... she's my oldest so I'm kind of new to the whole homeschooling world.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: new here - is this normal?

Children are often very excited about Time4Learning. I ration the lessons somewhat, because T4L is my children's favorite curriculum and I don't want them to burn out during that initial enthusiasm.

Also, people tend to retain what they have learned when they study small amounts over a longer period of time. I usually use the example of memorizing a poem. If you had to have a poem memorized in two weeks, would you study all day and not look at it again until you had to recite it? Or, would you study it a little at a time, over the entire two-week period?

Especially at this age, I would slow her down a bit and incorporate some hands-on activities that go along with her T4L studies. There are some good ideas in the teaching notes when you log in as a parent.

If course, this is just a general answer, and you know your child best. Some kids could probably blast through the lessons, but most will benefit from a slow, steady pace.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

loving the programs doesn't go away - my son is 9, we've been doing this for a year, and i still have to ration his usage! i don't let him get on t4l until the rest of his work his done. (journaling, bible study, unit study, or whatever else i have him doing)
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

capewell5 is offline Junior Member Newbie

I have the same issue with my son, 6, and I have found after only a week of using T4L that i have to ration him on his science/math lessons specifically. I have him do 2-3 bubbles a day in each subject and then a non computer lesson to reinforce what we learned. We do a lot of hands on science experiments, trips to the library, local farms/farm fairs, and we also do nature walks.
    But keep in mind this is what works for me and my son.

You want to keep her learning, but you don't want her to burnout either. My opinion would be to try and see if she is interested in other activities that relate to the lessons she is learning so that she gets more from each lesson. Wish i could be more help.

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

Yes, that is normal, but I limit it. If I don't, I know one of my children will do dozens of lessons, upwards of 40 or 50 per day. I do not let them do more than 25 at the very most, and usually try to limit them to half that. There are plenty of resources and other learing opportunities for them to take advantage of instead of sitting at the computer all day. Plus, it gives them a chance to stay balanced. If given free reign, they would do more of some subjects than others and finish too far ahead of schedule.
    Melissa.

scrapbookqueen41 is offline Junior Member Newbie

I guess i dont see the problem with letting them just go for it. I agree that they shouldnt sit at the computer all day but if they love it let them go for it

Blog Entries

The problem is that people can only remember a certain amount of new material at a time. If I chose to let my child go for it, I would make sure he went back and reviewed frequently.

Think of it as the difference between trying to read and take in a whole textbook in one sitting versus reading a chapter or two a day.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

aryals is offline Junior Member Newbie

I guess i dont see the problem with letting them just go for it. I agree that they shouldnt sit at the computer all day but if they love it let them go for it
    I'm with you. I let my 9 year old do all he wants and then every now and then I have him go back and review to make sure it sticks. If the level is so low that he's not being challenged I'd rather let him get to where it gets tougher than make him linger with the easy stuff.

denimay is offline Senior Member

I would be THRILLED if my kid wanted to burn through the program!! I have to have drama EVERY day to get him to sit down and do it!! (conversely he doesn't seem to mind at all doing "pages" tracing letters and numbers, coloring shapes, etc....go figure!) I do limit his time on the computer to a couple hours/day.....he needs to run and play and build things and COOK and lots of other "stuff"......deni........
    deni may ............
    artist and teacher

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

http://www.currclick.com/?affiliate_id=15313

Blog Entries

I advise based on thirteen years experience teaching my own six kids, but I've never taught YOUR kid! Time4Learning is intentionally a very flexible program, to be used in the way that works best in your own child's situation.