New Here question about lessons...
    mom2many is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question New Here question about lessons...

Hello, I am wondering how you know when you have completed a lesson. Like in my sons Math he chooses math and it takes him to a page that shows the different chapters. He chooses whole numbers and that takes him to a page with three icons. I assumed that each icon represents one lesson. The second icon had six activities, and three quizzes. This seems like a lot. How do you know when you have completed one lesson?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

The confusion arises because most parents think of a "lesson" as "the amount of material covered in one day (or one sitting)" . . . like a piano lesson!

Time4Learning defines it a little differently, as do many textbooks. A "lesson" is defined as one idea that needs to be mastered, and it might take several lesson activities (or several days) before the lesson is complete.

Think of the subject icon as a textbook (i.e. "Math"). When you click on it, you come to a page of chapter icons. When you click on a chapter icon, you get to a page of lesson icons (lessons within that chapter). When you click on a lesson icon, you come to a page of lesson activity icons. Clicking one of of those actually gets you into an activity.

The lesson plans within the parent login list the number of lesson activities available in each subject at each grade level. A mom who is a visual learner can better understand how this is laid out by printing the lesson plans, logging in as her student, and referring to the lesson plans while clicking on icons on the screen.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Jamelle is offline Junior Member

Default Okay.....STILL cOnFuSeD!!!! LOL

Hey Kelly--I just read your reply and I 'think' I have it...but I'm still not sure...
    I work 2 days out of the week and I figured how many activities that my child had to do for each subject for a 3 day school week. BUT!!!! I still think I'm making her do WAY more than she's supposed to be doing. I think I have it now--but want to make sure.
    *If we click on the subject (say Math) and it brings up several chapter bubbles and we click on the first bubble and so on...When we come to the very last page with the STAR/ BUBBLES--is each STAR/BUBBLE considered one activity??
    The reason I'm asking is b/c I printed out her first week of school and it says that she did 37 activities in 3 days this week....(YIKES!!)

Please anybody that reads this and knows the answer---feel free to reply!!

Thanks!!
    Jamelle

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

That is a lot of activities, but remember some of them are very short, especially in the lower levels. If I let the girls, they would sometimes do around 15 activities in a day. Now I limit them, but I wouldn't be surprised if she did that many, especially if she found them interesting. Have you calculated how much she should be doing with the number of activities compared to days in your school year?
    Melissa.

Jamelle is offline Junior Member

I did Melissa and it came up to 15 activities (2/L.Arts, 2/L.Art Ext. & 1 Math) each day. I work 2 days out of the home so this was based on a 3 day school schedule. We started this past week and I told her Monday to change and only do 1 L.Art and 1 L. Art Ext. activity b/c 2 would be waaaaaay too much. Ha Ha...I'm glad I did that since I was counting the activities wrong. Oh well-school will just be easier next week (bless her heart)!!

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

Glad you got it figured out.
    Melissa.