New Here too and needing help with Fluency Lessons.
    DebD is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New Here too and needing help with Fluency Lessons.

We're a homeschooling family with 6 kids. This fall begins my 18th year homeschooling.

I've just recently signed my youngest son up with T4L to work with his LA skills. He's 8 and is working on 2nd grade LA. He's behind on reading and I'm working to get him up to grade level by next spring (my goal). Today was his 2nd day of lessons and he loves it...however the reading fluency lessons are a big struggle. I was quite surprised at the level or words they are expected to read fluently at the 2nd grade level. I actually thought there must have been some kind of computer glitch that put him up to 4-5th grade lessons! Needless to say his score was very bad (7). I hate to skip the lesson because I see the value of it, but he was almost crying today and we didn't finish that portion. Is there any way to go down a level just for the fluency lessons? Or, does anyone have any suggestions that might help us out?

Thanks so much!

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New Here too and needing help with Fluency Lessons.

welcome to the group!!

my 8yo struggles with reading too. i ended up dropping her down a level and having her start with really easy stuff to begin with. the one major bonus of homeschooling is that you can be flexible with your children and work on the level that is best suited for them as opposed to what level their age dictates them to be. do a lot of fun reading with him like dr suess and whatnot ... even if it is below his level. you can find ways to make it fun for him. this is what worked for my daughter. as we "played", her confidence got built and she didn't even realize it. once she gained her confidence, she was able to handle more and more on her own. she's now doing much better. she went back into public school this year and is reading above grade level.

to modify levels on t4l, just login under your parent page and change levels. its very step by step.
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

Thanks so much for your reply. The thing is I've already put him down a grade and he is okay with everything but the fluency at that level. I really hate to going down 2 grade levels just for one bit. I'm hoping there is some way to still work on fluency with T4L without having to change all the LA stuff.

Deb

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

The first grade level doesn't include fluency lessons. There great variety in reading ability in children of this age. You will notice that the online reading books are offered in several different formats: Read to Me, Read by Myself, etc. You choose the ONE method that works best for your child and skip the rest of the formats. (That does make the arrow act weird, but we've been able to figure it out. You might want to print the lesson plans and check off activities as he completes them if the wacky arrow is a problem for you.)

If he isn't reading independently at that level yet, I would just skip the fluency lessons. Go back to them later in the year. He might be able to do them at that point. Reading fluently comes after reading independently, so there's no point in doing the lessons if he isn't ready for them. They are excellent lessons, but they can be stressful if attempted too soon.

Your son shouldn't feel self conscious about not being able to read those words yet. Tell them they're for advanced readers. Working on fluency before a child is reading independently is like working on running before a toddler can walk.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Yca
    Blog Entries

i have to tell you that my one downfall with this program is that i can't stand to see the arrow where its not supposed to be ... i'm so ocd its not even funny. hubby tells me i'm actually cdo (that way the letters are in alphabetical order :P )

what katie and i were doing ... there are like 3 different reading levels within the fluency. when we first got to that section, i would read the story to her, then we would go thru it again and read it together, then the 3rd time she would be able to (mostly) read it to me. eventually it got to where she would read all 3 by herself ... she would read one just for her, but loves reading to her baby sister and would read the stories to her - even if it meant reading the same one over and over.
    ~ Yca ~

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3

Blog Entries

I like the idea of reading the story to a sibling!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thank you Heather and Kelly - you have both been very helpful.

Kelly I do have a question. You say there are different levels in the fluency lesson. I dont' see that- what am I missing?

I love you idea of reading it to him first rather than 2nd (the way the program does it). Thanks so much for the tip. I've also pulled out some old books I used with my kids when we did Calvert a million years ago. I happened to find the readers for 1st grade. I'd rather him work on fluency with something simple rather than harder or new words.

thanks again!

Blog Entries

I was responding to someone's suggestion that you put your child down a grade level, so the fluency lessons would be easier. What I mean is that there are no fluency lessons in Time4Learning's first grade curriculum, since the children are still working on phonics at that point. There aren't different levels in the fluency lessons.

Yca
    Blog Entries

sorry - that was my bad!!!
    ~ Yca ~