New here! would love to have some support
    nelly is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New here! would love to have some support

I stumbled across T4L and hoped for an improvement in my 6 year old daughters learning difficulties. I home schooled her through out kindergarten by using mostly art and play as most of her school work.She loved it,but once we started 1st grade and were doing more worksheets and reading she did not do well.Little by little it was a struggle,I became frustrated when she did not even want to try anymore.My family as well as my fiances family urged me to put her in school. I had always wanted to be a home school mom to my kids and I felt defeated when my daughter became depressed because she said she could not make out words or spell them correctly. At the time I thought she had a learning disability and maybe the school could help.
    I was so very wrong. If anything it made matters worse when my daughter got put in a non understanding teachers classroom. Her teacher made her feel stupid. The last straw for me was when only on her 4th day of 1st grade her teacher called me up with 4 complaints about my daughter.She told me my child would not grasp anything,she would not answer when called on,got up out of her seat to show her a paper,and that she was just plain defiant! And these were complaints. I know my daughter and the last thing anyone has ever told me is how defiant she is. You know your child more then anyone and I wasn't going going to take her word for it.
    My daughter did not want to go back,she was scared of her teacher because she yelled at her students,and took away recess for not understanding an assignment. I withdrew my child and promised her a happy non intimidating education. My daughter hasn't been properly evaluated by a doctor yet,although she does show signs of dyslexia. It's been tough because me and my daughter feel alone. My family as well as strangers think I am crazy for raising my child as a home schooler,especially since she has a learning disability,but I think it's more of a reason why as a mom I should give her even more.
    We started T4L today and for once my little girl showed interest and a willingness to learn.I am sooooo sorry this post has bee long,and I thank anyone who took the time to read it.It would just be nice to have some support and understanding.

Stephanie739 is offline Senior Member

Default Re: New here! would love to have some support

Welcome! T4L will be a wonderful and fun change for your daughter. All the basics are covered, and the program is so very flexible. Good luck, and don't fret. Time4Learning takes the difficulty and guesswork out of homeschooling. It is a very rewarding moment when you realize your child has found an interest in learning again.
    ~Stephanie

mom to:
    Tori (13)
    Meghan (9)
    Andy (5)

denimay is offline Senior Member

Nelly.......You are NOT a terrible teacher, but perhaps your expectations were a little too much. First grade is supposed to be when you BEGIN to LEARN to read......if you have T4L for first grade, I would suggest you access the kindergarten program and start there. If your daughter knows all of the names of the letters and the sounds they make, the kindergarten is where they put a lot of this together. Don't worry about her being "behind" ..... just find a spot where she's comfortable and go from there....nothing succeeds like success so if the K lessons are "easy" for her it will help build her confidence. You can also have her take the quizes/tests and if she can pass those...you know that she doesn't need to repeat that section. The best part of homeschooling (IMHO) is that every child can progress at her own pace......look for a co-op in your area and stay in touch here... you are NOT alone.......happy Christmas!! deni.........
    deni may ............
    artist and teacher

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

http://www.currclick.com/?affiliate_id=15313

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

i first want to advise you to stop listening to other people's opinions. you'll read thread after thread on here about all of us venting because a relative, neighbor, or grocery store clerk has told us that we're nuts for homeschooling our children. some simple (and humerous) guidelines to ponder and live by ....

1. accept that you ARE indeed, insane!! after all, you're a parent, and your children have made you nuts. but we love them, and its ok. sanity is highly overrated anyway.

2. it doesn't matter what anybody else thinks about your decision, after all, they're not accountable for your child's education, YOU ARE. if they would like to give an opinion, charge them $25 and put it directly into the college fund.

3. don't stress about what she does or doesn't know. take things one day at a time, and you'll conquer it all eventually.

also ... i don't have much experience with dyslexia, but i'm sure other mom's on here will be more than happy to help. there's a special needs section in the forum, and you may find some specific advice there.

finally, i know you're angry with the teacher you dealt with, and many of us on here have had bad experiences. keep in mind that they are overworked and underpaid. she may have been having a bad day, or she may truly be evil, one never knows. i tell you this because should you be faced with putting your child in public school again, i don't want that teacher to be what you reflect on. yes, there are some out there that incite violence within us ... but there are also some amazing teachers out there.

good luck, best wishes ... let us know if you need anything else.
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

Your child is unique and homeschooling can be tailored to her individual needs. You may want to consider whether you think you will be more equipped to help her than a teacher who has 30 kids on her hands. Based on your story, it sounds like you are! You just need a little time and some confidence to get you going. Remember, with T4L you can choose lessons at different levels (not "grades" ) for every subject. It isn't likely that she will be able to do that long term at school.

There is no rule that says you have to use worksheets and monotonous repitition to teach areas of core understanding. Since she seems to like art, why not encourage her to find and create things with the letter of the day? If the letter is A, she can use cut apples to stamp paint on paper and practice writing the letter A in sand or use spaghetti noodles to form the letter on her dinner plate. You can go on an outing and make a list of everything you find together that starts with the letter A. If you go to the grocery, she can practice finding the big A and little A on packages. There are lots of things you can do that are more hands-on to get her "reading ready." By that, I mean knowing her letters and their sounds, as well as understanding that reading our language occurs from left to right, top to bottom. Read, read, read to her different levels of books about different subjects. Get her interested in learning-- that 's the most important thing imho. Go as slowly as you need to. I don't think colleges ask at what age a child learned to read. Education is a long journey and the important thing is that you are moving forward, not that you are necessarily going 100 miles per hour.
    Melissa.

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nelly
    I stumbled across T4L and hoped for an improvement in my 6 year old daughters learning difficulties. I home schooled her through out kindergarten by using mostly art and play as most of her school work.She loved it,but once we started 1st grade and were doing more worksheets and reading she did not do well.Little by little it was a struggle,I became frustrated when she did not even want to try anymore.My family as well as my fiances family urged me to put her in school. I had always wanted to be a home school mom to my kids and I felt defeated when my daughter became depressed because she said she could not make out words or spell them correctly. At the time I thought she had a learning disability and maybe the school could help.
    I was so very wrong. If anything it made matters worse when my daughter got put in a non understanding teachers classroom. Her teacher made her feel stupid. The last straw for me was when only on her 4th day of 1st grade her teacher called me up with 4 complaints about my daughter.She told me my child would not grasp anything,she would not answer when called on,got up out of her seat to show her a paper,and that she was just plain defiant! And these were complaints. I know my daughter and the last thing anyone has ever told me is how defiant she is. You know your child more then anyone and I wasn't going going to take her word for it.
    My daughter did not want to go back,she was scared of her teacher because she yelled at her students,and took away recess for not understanding an assignment. I withdrew my child and promised her a happy non intimidating education. My daughter hasn't been properly evaluated by a doctor yet,although she does show signs of dyslexia. It's been tough because me and my daughter feel alone. My family as well as strangers think I am crazy for raising my child as a home schooler,especially since she has a learning disability,but I think it's more of a reason why as a mom I should give her even more.
    We started T4L today and for once my little girl showed interest and a willingness to learn.I am sooooo sorry this post has bee long,and I thank anyone who took the time to read it.It would just be nice to have some support and understanding.
    Oh Sweet Nelly, (((Big Hugs)))

I am so glad you're here. What an honor it is to walk this road together. Let me assure you that you ARE doing the right thing for your precious daughter. Choosing to walk down an untraveled road can be incredibly scary, but it's also very rewarding. I began my homeschool journey back in 1998. My son had a great teacher, but didn't do well in a classroom situation. He is graduating this year and it has been such an honor to have spent these past twelve years being his biggest cheerleader. Be thankful that Time4Learning is here to help you, because when I began it wasn't in existence yet and I spent tons of money and time trying to find a program that my child could learn from. When we finally found Time4Learning in "2007" my boys went up more in Math than the previous ten years and excelled in all their other subjects as well. The STRONG interactive graphics help typical and non typical learners excel.

I have four sons, three of which have Central Auditory Processing Disorder. Homeschooling has allowed me the time to work on their therapy, while making them feel safe, loved and valued.

Blessings,
    Mary
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

I barely had the chance to read everyone's encouraging words! It means so much to me to have caring understanding people let me know I am not alone! Thank-You

Yca
    Blog Entries

nelly - it really does take a village to raise a child ... and we're all in this village together!!!
    ~ Yca ~

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3

Jess I agree! I am sooo thankful to be a part of this wonderful group. My daughter is really improving and is starting to read words! It's only been 2 weeks How about that?! Thanx again for yours and everyone's support.

Yca
    Blog Entries

that is AWESOME news, nelly!!! i am so glad to hear that!! how wonderful!!! big yay!!

(check it out, a village with its own pep squad!)
    ~ Yca ~