New to homeschooling
    pbarnes313 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New to homeschooling

I am seriously consiidering homeschooling my children. I have sent in the necessary paperwork required in North Carolina to get approved. I have twin boys who are currently in the 7th grade and are both failing there grade. My question is, can Time4Learning be used as the only curriculum or do I still need to join other sites. Please help me with this information. I did not know if I needed to go out and purchase other material or if Time4Learning is all that I would need.

Thanks for your help.

Carla is offline Member Regular

My daughter just started using T4L last week. I find it to be very thorough in the core subjects. Depending on your state's requirements you may need to add more. In Nebraska, we have to have a health curriculum. A lot of science programs include health. I do not know if T4L does, it is one of those things I still need to check the lesson plans for.
    For P.E. you can use any sports activities your child is in. Also piano/guitar lessons, church choir, can give your child music credit.
    Welcome to the homeschool world, a life that truly puts the child's needs first.

seashell is offline Member Regular

Looking at the laws for North Carolina, it looks like it's really all up to you. You file a notice of intent (not a request for approval), and you'll need to adminster a standardized test which covers English grammar, reading, spelling, and mathematics (it does not appear to matter how your children do on the test, just that they take it, and you keep the results).

Here is a page with some FAQ's about homeschooling in NC:

http://www.geocities.com/ncloop1/ncspecific.html

So, whether time4learning is enough is up to you. Many people use no packaged curriculum at all, utilizing resources in their community, the library, whatever; many follow their children's lead on what to learn and do.

We are unschoolers, and use time4learning at my six year old daughter's whim (and she loves it). She also takes gymnastics and violin lessons, and is in 4H.

If you're just pulling your boys out after a bad time at school, I highly recommend reading about deschooling, and giving themselves (and you!) a chance to really decompress and heal. I wouldn't expect 7th graders who are failing at school to happily jump into a really structured academic program at home (though they may at first, since it is SO MUCH BETTER than what they were going through at school; that glow may wear off pretty quickly, though).

Welcome to the fabulous world of homeschooling!

pbarnes313 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New to Homeschooling

Thanks Carla and Seashell. The information you both provided was very helpful. I guess I gave you the impression that the only reason I am pulling them out of public schools is because they are failing. That is one of the reasons, but not all. Both of my boys are learning disabled, with one of them being borderline mentally handicapped. Even though they have an IEP in place for them at school, the school chooses not to follow it. Every time I question them about it, they have an excuse and state they will try to do better. There way of fixing the problem is to just keep suspending my children for ridiculous amount of days. For example, one of them took a cell phone that didn't work, to school and is currently on 30 day suspension. My children are eager to learn but the school system here doesn't want to help. As a matter of fact, one of my boys wants to be able to go off to college when he is old enough.

I look forward to homeschooling them. This program seems like where I need to go with the two of them. Thanks again for your help.

Kim
    Kim is offline Junior Member Newbie

I taught in the North Carolina Public Schools for 17 years. I currently homeschool my 9 year old son, because he has Aspergers (high functioning autism). If I could be of any assistance to you, please let me know. By the way, we do use Time4lLearning and he does so much better. He is very visual and this program is perfect for him. You can go to the NC Department of Public Instruction website and get the goals and objectives for your sons grade. Good Luck. Kim

ergon4 is offline Member Regular

Welcome to T4L! Great to have some other fellow North Carolinians here! We have been using T4L with our son (6th grade) for almost two years now. He is a right brained visual learner with dyslexia, and it has been a godsend for him. We do supplement with a few other things (handwriting, a specialized spelling program, science, and a couple elective type things), but overall T4L has been a wonderful core curriculum. As far as homeschooling in NC goes, it is a pretty easy state to educate your own child in. I wrote an article for getting started h-schooling in NC - - feel free to check it outif you get a chance. T4L also has a wonderful guide for new homeschoolersthat is super helpful.

Be sure and add yourselves to the T4L Parents Mapso we can get lots of representation for good ole NC there! And come back to the forums often - - it is a great place to find support and get questions answered.
    Good luck!
    Kerry
    Raising homegrown geeks...one laptop at a time. Check out my Topsy-Techie blog at http://topsytechie.wordpress.com/

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome! I just wanted to welcome you and tell you that I really think you will find Time4Learning to be an EXCELLENT fit. I have four sons, three of which have learning differences.

I just posted that my son who has made very little progress in math and is way behind grade level due to significant processing issue's went up quite a bit!

My long term tester asked for information regarding time4learning to offer to other LD homeschool families.

The GREAT thing is that it gave my NON-LD children Amazing results as well.

Grades are not the end all/be all. But when you have children who have struggled with learning differences you are SO very thankful for this "jumps", they are miraculous!

Time4Learning teaches so visually that it brings learning alive! (smile)
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/