New to Homeschooling and need help
    OhanaAcademy is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New to Homeschooling and need help

I have all 3 of my kids on T4L 3rd grader, 6th grader, and an 8th grader and we are using it as a homeschool curriculum. I don't understand the odyssey writer portion. I want to use it as a daily journal for the kis to write in, but it's a lttle confusing on the part where they're suppose to turn in an assignment and the teachers name that show up. Also is there an area to get spelling words, or a list of words?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Odyssey Writer will pop up when the program gives the student a writing assignment. If you wish to use it for daily journaling or other writing that you assign your child, that's fine, too.

The curriculum provided by Time4Learning, including Odyssey Writer, was developed for school use. Time4Learning has purchased a license to offer it to individual users. Odyssey Writer does not function as intended when used by individuals. Options are being explored, so the teacher names exist for internal testing. You need to pick one at random in order to hand in the assignment. All "handing in" does is mark the assignment as completed on your student's records.

Spelling begins in third grade, with a total of three lessons, three quizzes, and a test. These are found under Language Arts Extensions/Conventions of Spelling.

Sixth grade spelling is quite thorough and can be found under Language Arts Extensions/Conventions of Spelling.

Eighth grade spelling is under Language Arts Extensions/Apply Spelling Conventions.

Spelling from fourth grade up is approached a bit differently than the rest of the curriculum. Your student is probably accustomed to completing an entire lesson activity in one sitting. With the spelling (and vocabulary) lessons, the student will work on one or two "pages" of the lesson activity per day for a week. The first couple of pages typically include a pretest. The next few pages are activities intended to help study the words, such as crossword puzzles, word finds, and word scrambles. The last page is usually a test over that week's words. Every three weeks, the student is tested over ALL the words from the previous three weeks' lists, to assure retention.

All of the Language Arts Extensions can be used or skipped at the parent's discretion. They are intended for extra study in an area of special interest or for more practice where the student struggles.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!