New and Question about 1st grade Math test....
    volgirl is offline Junior Member

Question New and Question about 1st grade Math test....

Hello! We have been using T4L for going on 2 weeks now and so far, we really love it! My daughter is in 1st grade this year and I am using T4L as a stand alone, but, I am incorporating other subjects, like writing, extra reading, and art as well. I have a question about my daughter's first math test she took today. While taking it, I noticed that some of the questions asked things she had not even gone over yet. Why would they do that? It was questions that she had not even been taught. Thanks for any help.

Also, should I be adding in more for her math? We use all the worksheets that go along with the lessons. Thanks!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

If she is scoring well on the tests, you probably don't need to add more. Sometimes extra drill is necessary, for memorizing addition facts, subtraction facts, and multiplication tables. Some kids memorize the facts easily, but others (like mine) need drill, drill, drill!

The tests sometimes include problems that aren't EXACTLY like the ones the student practiced, but are similar enough that it's hoped the child can figure out how to do them, too. This is a way to determine whether the student simply memorized steps, or actually understands WHY each problem is worked that way. I hope I've worded that so it makes sense.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

volgirl is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy View Post
    If she is scoring well on the tests, you probably don't need to add more. Sometimes extra drill is necessary, for memorizing addition facts, subtraction facts, and multiplication tables. Some kids memorize the facts easily, but others (like mine) need drill, drill, drill!

The tests sometimes include problems that aren't EXACTLY like the ones the student practiced, but are similar enough that it's hoped the child can figure out how to do them, too. This is a way to determine whether the student simply memorized steps, or actually understands WHY each problem is worked that way. I hope I've worded that so it makes sense.
    Yes, you made sense, and thank you for your help. I feel better about it now.