New with questions
    momof3cuties is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New with questions

I am new to using T4L for my kids. We have been using it for about a month now. This is my 7th year homeschooling. I have a 6th grader, 3rd grader and a 1st grader. I really like most of T4L but there are a few things that I am wondering about.

1. For quizzes when a child does poorly, how do you find the correct answers for him without having to go through his entire lesson again with him??

2. What resources do you use when a child is not mastering a subject and there aren't any teaching guides available to assist the parent? My 6th grader is having problems with his LA and there aren't any teaching guides for me to assist him. I discovered there aren't any at all for grammar. Right now I am using a LA text book to supplement.

3. When a child doesn't master a lesson do most parents make the child re-do the lesson and test until they master it or just move on??

4. I haven't seen anything yet for spelling and writing on my children's lessons. I know there is the Odyssey Writer. So far the children haven't been alerted to use it.

5. How do you plan ahead for things? With 3 it is a little challenging. I find my kids coming to an activity and then need things to complete it. This takes time out of our day to find and assemble what needs to be done.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!!

[/i]

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New with questions

Quote Originally Posted by momof3cuties
    I am new to using T4L for my kids. We have been using it for about a month now. This is my 7th year homeschooling. I have a 6th grader, 3rd grader and a 1st grader. I really like most of T4L but there are a few things that I am wondering about.

1. For quizzes when a child does poorly, how do you find the correct answers for him without having to go through his entire lesson again with him??

2. What resources do you use when a child is not mastering a subject and there aren't any teaching guides available to assist the parent? My 6th grader is having problems with his LA and there aren't any teaching guides for me to assist him. I discovered there aren't any at all for grammar. Right now I am using a LA text book to supplement.

3. When a child doesn't master a lesson do most parents make the child re-do the lesson and test until they master it or just move on??

4. I haven't seen anything yet for spelling and writing on my children's lessons. I know there is the Odyssey Writer. So far the children haven't been alerted to use it.

5. How do you plan ahead for things? With 3 it is a little challenging. I find my kids coming to an activity and then need things to complete it. This takes time out of our day to find and assemble what needs to be done.
    [/i]
    Hi Momto3cuties! Welcome I am Mary, mom to 4 boys and we just started T4L'ing back in July. This is our tenth year of homeschooling though

1- If my son does poorly I just have him re-do it with me watching. It helps him review and then shows "me" what he needs to work on. I don't know if there is any other way to do it?

2- I use the "Key To" series for Math and I'm thinking about adding Cuiseinaire rods?

3- I don't move until mastered. Sometimes if They're really struggling I'll move on and then come back.

4- I believe spelling starts in 3rd grade? I know there is a program many of the moms here use called spellingtime.com

5- ? What type of things are you needing to complete your lesson? I've not had that happen. I don't use T4L'ing for science or hx though?
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Thanks for a quick response!!! And from a very busy mom!!!

I use the "Key To" series for Math and I'm thinking about adding Cuiseinaire rods?

For Math my 6th grader is using Teaching Textbooks. It is absolutely AWESOME! My other 2 are using T4L and they are loving it!!

I don't move until mastered. Sometimes if They're really struggling I'll move on and then come back.

That is kind of what I am thinking of doing. I'm just feeling things out right now...

I believe spelling starts in 3rd grade? I know there is a program many of the moms here use called spellingtime.com

I haven't seen anything on my 3rd or 6th graders LA. My youngest then wouldn't have it. We have only been into this a month so I'm not too worried. I have some spelling programs at home I just was trying to do different things this year.

What type of things are you needing to complete your lesson? I've not had that happen. I don't use T4L'ing for science or hx though?

One day it was magnets and an upcoming lesson wants a project that two people can work on together...not really big things...but things that I need to find.

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by momof3cuties
    Thanks for a quick response!!! And from a very busy mom!!!

For Math my 6th grader is using Teaching Textbooks. It is absolutely AWESOME! My other 2 are using T4L and they are loving it!!

I don't move until mastered. Sometimes if They're really struggling I'll move on and then come back.

That is kind of what I am thinking of doing. I'm just feeling things out right now...

I believe spelling starts in 3rd grade? I know there is a program many of the moms here use called spellingtime.com

I haven't seen anything on my 3rd or 6th graders LA. My youngest then wouldn't have it. We have only been into this a month so I'm not too worried. I have some spelling programs at home I just was trying to do different things this year.

What type of things are you needing to complete your lesson? I've not had that happen. I don't use T4L'ing for science or hx though?

One day it was magnets and an upcoming lesson wants a project that two people can work on together...not really big things...but things that I need to find.

You are very welcome! We are loving T4L'ing so much. I wish it had been around when I started. It has brought such JOY back into our schooling experience. We can spend time on bible, History and science without feeling overwhelmed!

I have heard GREAT things about Teaching Textbooks. I'm so spoiled with T4L'ing that I am hesitant to even look. (grin)

As far as spelling not starting until 3rd I think it's because they are working on phonics. Now I will say they do spelling within the phonics by having my son move his tile square to spell phoentic words he is working on? I hope this helps!
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, and welcome!

1. If my children do poorly on a quiz or test, I do have them repeat the lesson, instead of just trying to look up the correct answers for them. The quiz or test will be different each time the child takes it.

2. For language arts, don't forget to look at the extension activities. Very often, there will be extension activities that pertain to whatever concept your student needs extra work on.

3. No matter what curriculum I've been using, I've always had my children re-study until I felt it had been mastered. This is a major advantage of home schooling. The student does not have to proceed with "the rest of the class" until he is ready.

4. Many programs do not introduce spelling until phonics has been mastered. Time4Learning focuses on phonics through second grade. After that point, spelling lessons are available in the language arts extensions.

Writing through second grade is done on Story Creator, which is within your child's language arts lessons. Many parents like to print their child's creations, as they can't be saved. Beginning in third grade, Odyssey Writer will pop up when the child is given a writing assignment. These essays CAN be saved. If you do the lessons in sequence, writing assignments don't appear until midway through the program.

5. A supply list for science is being prepared.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thank you Kelly for all the great feedback! And also thanks again Mary! Now I have a better understanding.

I'm thinking I may need to adjust my 6th graders LA. I'll just wait and see how it goes for him over the next few weeks. He was LOVING the beginning Word Herd stuff and now with the reading comprehension not loving it so much. LA has always been his weak subject anyway and one I need to pay more attention to with him. I sure wish I would have had T4L for him for his younger years though!! I can see a huge difference with my younger two already!

~momof3cuties