New User with question about kindergarten math
    kingphilipmom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New User with question about kindergarten math

Hello,
    We are on day one of using Time4Learning for our two kids. I have a question about the math section for my kindergartener. She was working on the whole numbers section. She finished all of the lessons and was ready to take the quiz. When we looked at the quiz together, the questions asked her to identify whole numbers vs. decimals and fractions. The lessons never introduced what decimals or fractions were at all. As a result, she just read the numbers right through (omitting the decimals and the fraction line) so to her, EVERYTHING looked like a whole number! Did we miss something? Why would these types of numbers be in the quiz if they were not introduced at any point beforehand? Would love some advice on what we are doing wrong!
    Thanks,
    Lisa & Alan
    Parents of (2) girls, ages 10 & 6

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I would like to take a look at these lessons, but I'm having trouble finding them. I'm assuming you're referring to some of the very first lessons in kindergarten math, but they don't seem to be lessons about whole numbers.

Can you please tell me the exact name of the lessons you are referring to, or the lesson activity numbers? I'll be happy to look at them for you.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Hi!
    Under kindergarten math, the section is called "Whole #s". The quiz in that section is numbered MA1AA9A. Thanks!!
    Lisa & Alan

Blog Entries

That lesson appears to be from the first grade curriculum. Are you sure she is working at a kindergarten math level?

I found a first grade lesson like the one you described, four lessons into the first grade curriculum. If your kindergartener is starting out there, that might be the problem. Unless your child is exceptional, first grade math will proceed too quickly for most kindergarteners, and they will have missed some important concepts first introduced in kindergarten (such as elementary fractions).

To make sure she is on the kindergarten level, log in as your student. Click on the math icon on her launchpad. Look at the upper, right-hand corner as shown here. You should see a K and a 1 up there, and the K should be in a LIGHT blue bubble. If you see a K, a 1, and a 2 . . . and the 1 is in a light bubble . . . then your student has been assigned to first grade math.

If she HAS been assigned to first grade math, and you wish to change her level, log in as a parent and click on "Adjust My Child's Education Level". It takes a day or so for that to be done. In the meantime, she can still access the kindergarten lessons by following the instructions here. Changing her math level will not affect her other subjects.

Do let me know if this helps, or if you have further questions.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Hooray! Yes, that was exactly the problem. I just emailed support to have her adjusted to kindergarten. I understand how to handle it until then. Thanks for the prompt response, Kelly!
    Lisa & Alan

Blog Entries

I'm glad you caught this early, before she got very far in the first grade level. First grade math is much harder than the kindergarten level and soon becomes frustrating for most children your daughter's age.

Time4Learning kindergarten math was fairly easy for my 5-year-old last year, but I'm really glad she did those lessons. It provided a great background for her to be successful with her first grade material this year.

Your student may complain about having to "learn" concepts she may already know, such as same and different or larger and smaller. It's important to be sure these "simple" concepts have been throughly mastered, though . . . and I was surprised that my daughter found a few of them challenging! Kindergarten math starts out with a tutorial about how to use the computer. It does progress to some more advanced concepts near the middle of the curriculum.

My daughter came to LOVE the characters who "taught" her. Sheldon the turtle was her favorite.

Kelly,
    Kindergarten math was MUCH better for my daughter today. Yes, at times, she says it feels "too easy", but I know that some of it is challenging to her and I want her to have a firm foundation. What is the situation with science? I noticed that she is listed as grade 1 for science, although I asked Time4Learning to change all of her subjects to kindergarten when I caught the math problem. Is there a kindergarten level for science? My daughter started crying when she tried to do the grade 1 science opening exercise! It was a timed click and drag exercise matching shapes. She tried to "beat" the timer, but her dexterity with the mouse is still developing and she failed every single time. She can't pass that level until she can drag the shapes in time so I told her to skip science for now until I could find out why she is in 1st grade level. Any suggestions?
    Lisa & Alan

Blog Entries

Hi, Lisa. Science and social studies are offered to Time4Learning users as a free bonus. From third grade on, they are very complete. There is no kindergarten science or social studies, so kindergarteners are often offered the first grade material in those two subjects.

Many parents wait until first or second grade to introduce formal science and social studies curriculum. The best thing I have found for my children at that level is to check out nonfiction picture books from the library and READ . . . about George Washington and Abe Lincoln, about flowers and rocks and trees, about the pilgrims and weather, about our flag, and about all kinds of animals. Children at that age just seem to soak up informally presented material of this kind. You don't even need to have a plan. Check out books as they are available and read every day.

Some parents like to use http://www.brainpopjr.com as a supplement. You can view one movie each week for free. To access all of the movies, you must subscribe.

If you want a better idea of what kindergarteners need to be learning for science and social studies, here is World Book's Typical Course of Study. As you can see, the kindergarten concepts can be easily covered by informal, day-to-day interactions and reading.

One thing my very young children enjoy is to color a picture after reading a book. I use this coloring page search engine to find coloring sheets that go along with what we are reading. For example, if we read a book about frogs, I'll search for frog or tadpole pictures to color.

One more suggestion, if you like worksheets, is to check out http://www.learningpage.com . You have to register, but it's quick and free. You will be interested in the theme sheets. There are some lovely science worksheets for kindergarteners.

I hope this has been of help. Your daughter might want to save Time4Learning's first grade science for next year.

Default THANK YOU KELLY!

I couldn't ask for more thorough, insightful advice. We are holding off on the science, for sure. I love your other suggestions. I just love this program so far! Thanks!
    Lisa & Alan