NEWBIE here and I've got a (dumb) question...ha ha
    Jamelle is offline Junior Member

Default NEWBIE here and I've got a (dumb) question...ha ha

Maybe a dumb question.....LOL...but here goes!!!

My daughter started home schooling after Christmas break this past year. She was in a wonderful Christian Academy, but because of stress issues and separation anxiety we felt like she needed to come home.

The school was using Abeka curriculum-so we immediately purchased the complete curriculum to continue with her (1st grade). HOWEVER--it just seemed soooooo boring everyday...ha ha

I originally went online to find something to "add" to her school--to make it more exciting and fun. After finding T4L and using it for a week-we have decided to use this as her main curriculum for Math and Language Arts. MY QUESTION IS.....when I signed her up---I signed her up for 2nd grade (just to see how she'd do). Now, I know that we could go back and change that at any time---but if she is doing okay with 2nd grade--should I just leave it alone?? My husband thinks that she will miss something on the assessment tests since we had about 3 months left on the first grade material. I seem to think that MAYBE that's why she was bored and that she should be fine.

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
    Jamelle

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

welcome jamelle!! so glad to hear that you and your daughter are enjoying t4l!

the first thing that you and your husband need to remember is that each and every curricula move at their own pace. what seems "appropriate 2nd grade material" for one is deemed "appropriate 4th" for another. while there are basic markings that are somewhat universal, you have to take into account that there are just different schools of thought on how children should be taught.

one basis to start with tho, is that the levels that you see aren't necessarily "grades". calling them levels might erase a little confusion for all of you, because if you think about some classes (not just elementary, but even up thru high school), you have different levels of where children are. for instance, you might be in 4th grade, but you are slightly accelerated in math, but a little behind in language arts. think of the levels here similarly. altho, to be fair, the levels on t4l jump a little more than in your typical classroom.

the rule of thumb that i suggest to see if a child knows material is this: have them take the chapter test at the end of each section. if your daughter passes something with flying colors, you know that she knows it. likewise, if she fails it miserably, you know that she doesn't know it. if she struggles thru one, you know where you need to start. have her go back and do the 1st level stuff. if you think your child is doing well in 2nd level, work backwards from the end to get your results faster, but remember to cover all concepts.

something to keep in mind is that all concepts at this age are building. you will see one-digit addition in 1st level, and then again in 2nd level, but harder. if she can do it at the 2nd level, there is no reason why she can't do it at the 2nd level. one of my favorite aspects about this program is that each concept is labeled clearly. as you move up thru the levels, you can track and see exactly how your child understand each individual concept.

good luck, and let us know if we can help you with anything else
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

Jamelle is offline Junior Member

Thank you so much for your reply. I was just checking to see if I had a reply yet and yours popped up. (YAY!) I have one more question also about the lessons. What we've been doing is going to the language arts (for example) and clicking on the first chapter that the blinking arrow beside it. Then it might open up 3 or 4 lessons.... We then click on the lesson with the blinking arrow and it opens up several (sometimes up to 6 or more) activities. I've been getting her to do ALL of those activities in that day--no matter how many it is.....is that correct?? Is that sometimes too much?? I know each child is different but I thought that one lesson wouldn't be complete until ALL of those activities were done-and if she can handle it-wouldn't it be better to do a complete lesson each day when she logs in?
    Hopefully-that made sense....ha ha...and again THANK YOU SO MUCH for replying...trying to get the hang of this (LOL).
    Jamelle

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Jamelle,
    As for your original question, there are no dumb questions! When we started T4L we started in January, after pulling daughter from public school in middle of 1st grade, we too started with 2nd grade. She did fine. If she missed something in those couple of months I have not seen evidence of it. Besides, part of the beauty of homeschooling is that if you find your child is missing a piece of information, you can just go back and fill in the blanks later. We had to do that with phonics for several lessons, then we continued with her grade level work.
    As for the number of lessons to do in a day. I think that is very individual for each child. Early on we did up to 40 lessons a day. My daughter was so hungry for information at her own pace that she sprinted through 2nd grade. I don't think there is a rule about how many to do. The only rule we have regarding how many a day, is that we never leave a quiz or chapter test "orphaned". Meaning, if she gets to the point that all she has left is a quiz, or chapter test, she may not let that roll to the next day, she must complete it the same day. Some subjects take longer than a day to complete one set of lessons, some can be done in one day.
    The other way that we judge how many lessons need to be done in a week in each subject is to take the standard 180 day school year (that is what is required in my state), divide it into number of weeks(36), then take the total number of lessons in each subject and spread that evenly over the number of weeks. For most subjects that comes out to between 4 and 8 lessons a week. With that factoid in mind, we don't do every subject every day. As long as we complete the "required" number of lessons for each subject in the week, we can do them any way she want to. That might mean Monday, we do only science, all of the lessons for the whole week. The pit fall of this idea is that we end up with lots of language arts and language arts extensions at the end of the week.
    As long as you are fulfilling your state requirements regarding number of days or hours, and course material that is mandatory, then you are doing fine! If you need more information as to what those requirements are check with the Virginia State Group in T4L for more state specific information. Just go to the top navigation bar, select Groups, then your state.
    Good luck!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!