Newbie - Introduction and Question
    Lego Mom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Newbie - Introduction and Question

Hi! I am a newbie to homeschooling and T4L. I am using T4L for our language arts and math curriculum. My son, Josiah, enjoys learning on the computer. He is more of an introvert than extrovert so having part of his learning be self-paced and individual suits him quite well. He does have a couple of learning differences - severe ADHD and CAPD (central auditory processing disorder) but is also quite gifted underneath those issues.

I did a lot of research before starting our homeschooling journey and came across T4L. I was very impressed with the format and the multisensory approach to learning. I have not been disappointed. Josiah absolutely loves the language arts lessons.

Now for my question, although Josiah is gifted in math he does not enjoy or like it. I have found the math curriculum to be quite good - blending relevancy with repetition through different approaches to the same topic. Any ideas on supplementing or how to make it more enjoyable for him? Or do you have areas where it is simply learning how to buckle down and do something you do not enjoy as a life lesson? Or is it a balance of both?

Thanks!

Lego Mom (aka Karen)
    Lego Mom (aka Karen)

witchly is offline Senior Member Guru

Default Math - relate to what they like

With my son, I always try to relate math to whatever he is interested in at the time. A simple example would be if your child really likes cars, make up math problems with cars (or re-word math problems to use cars).

When my son was younger he would just feel "stuck" looking at a worksheet of plain math equations, but if we took that problem and related it to cars then it made sense to him and he would quickly solve them all. As he has gotten older we have just changed to whatever his current interests are and it still works. It also has really helped him understand how we use math in daily life.
    Robyn
    Secular homeschooler of 1 son (14)
    http://feeds.feedburner.com/RobynsOnlineWorld.1.gif

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Karen!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Homeschooling and especially Time4Learning! I so wish this program had been around when I was a brand new homeschooler! I have two child with CAPD and one with ADD so I understand your situation.

I'm not sure how old Josiah is? Younger children sometimes need the parent to work with them using manipulatives. I have found if my child is not enjoying a certain subject I have them do less, more often. So do a lesson, take a break, do a different subject, take a break, come back and do another subject.

Also, we LOVE math board games. www.christianbookdistributors.com has a great selection. You can also order through www.rocksolidinc.com

I look forward to walking this WONDERFUL journey with you. Also, if you have a CAPD child I highly recommend noise reducing headphones. I blogged about it recently http://homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/449398/
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Thanks! I will definitely check out the websites for math games as a supplement. And I like the idea of smaller bites more often.

Josiah is 10 and our only child so I am able to keep the noise level very quiet for him during school. We are able to do well so far without noise canceling headphones during that time.

I am teaching him woodworking, however, and the noise from power tools is a problem. Your suggestion has made me think of using them in that context. We use ear plugs, but they do not do enough for him.

Lego Mom (aka Karen)
    Lego Mom (aka Karen)

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the board.

You've received some great advice already.

One of my children really dislikes math. I sit with her the whole time she's doing math.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thanks to all for the welcome and counsel. Being new to all of this, I really appreciate having a place to come to with questions and concerns.
    Lego Mom (aka Karen)