Newbie, looking for help
    smalley57 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Newbie, looking for help

I had posted a topic before but no one replied so I am trying a different one. I have an 8th grader who is going to public school now but as of Nov. 1 I need to find a program that I can use that will provide him with all the subjects needed to stay on track with his normal 8th grade work. He is a competitive snowboarder and after the season is over (mid april) he may want to go back to school or if he is loving this, he may decide to finish out the year. All the reviews sound great....almost too good. Do I have anything to worry about with him doing Time 4 Learning and then going back into school. I just don't want him to be behind at all and want to make sure the school will accept the work he has done. I probably will need to supplement other subjects so if you have any input on that, it would be helpful. Looking forward to hearing all suggestions.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Newbie, looking for help

Changing schools is always challenging, whether switching between two public schools or going from public school to home school to back again. The reason is because each school has its own way of doing things. Standards differ from state to state. Even if your child changes to a school in his own state, the schools may present the material in a different order, so he is likely to have to study some concepts again and miss the lessons on other things altogether.

No curriculum will be able to guarantee that it is compatible with another school system's schedule. Time4Learning is aligned to all of the state standards, so it's certainly one of the better choices.

To be absolutely certain he will be studying the same thing as he would in public school, you would need to get a copy of their scope and sequence for each subject and compare it to Time4Learning's lesson plans. Students can do the Time4Learning lessons in any order and can even skip around among grade levels, so differences could be compensated for in that way.

That said: Students who successfully complete a grade level in Time4Learning, even using T4L's suggested sequence, are generally well prepared to re-enter public school and generally do quite well on standardized tests.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thanks for the reply. Can you recommend other sources for subjects not covered with Time 4 Learning or would I be okay using just their curriculum? When entering back into the public school what information and/or records/grades need to be supplied? I am just so new at this and really confused how to get started.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Until high school, most schools will accept homeschooled students without difficulty, although no curriculum provider will be able to guarantee your school won't question your records. Time4Learning provides thorough, printable records that are usually quite sufficient.

What state are you in?

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Well we live in Hood River, Oregon right now but in November we head back to Steamboat Springs, Colorado. We have been doing this back and forth thing for about 6 years and it has worked really well. This is the first year that my son is stepping up his level of competition and will be training and traveling more so that is the reason for the homeschool program.