Newbie with question about lesson activities
    emandmike is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Newbie with question about lesson activities

Hi!
    I have two sons, 4th and 5th grade. We have been homeschooling in some fashion since they were 1st and 2nd grade. I am having difficulty with my youngest and have decided that T4L might meet his needs better than what we have been doing.

As far as lesson activities go, do you let your children pick where to start or do you have them start at the beginning and work through in the order listed? I am kind of confused as to how to plan our day and where to begin. Thank you for your help! I am off to read the board posts to see what I can learn!

Emily

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Newbie with question about lesson activities

The program is designed to be done in sequence. It features a flashing arrow that points to the next activity in each subject. Many parents do prefer to do the activities in a different sequence, and that's fine.

I sign in as a parent and access the lesson plans. Then, I divide the number of activities in a subject by the number of days in our school year (minus a few days, to allow for the unexpected). That gives me an idea of how many activities per day my children need to do in each subject.

Then, I tell them "Do two math, one language arts, one language arts extension, one science, and one social studies (along with the associated worksheets, tests, and quizzes) each day."

Others do it differently. Reading the forum is a great place to start! We're happy to have you with us!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

emandmike is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you!!

Emily

aandwsmom is offline Senior Member

Yep, what Kelly said!
    I print out the lesson plans, and then go by # listed. Decide how many weeks of school, etc. and divide by that, then break it up into days.
    I then printed out a M-Th chart with each subject down the side and then plugged in the # per day of each.
    This year its 1 LA, 1 LAex, 2 Math, and 1 soc. studies daily, plus T/Th is science as well.
    They know what day it is, the chart is mounted on the flat area next to the mouse on their laptop so they cannot say they didnt know WHAT to do!
    Last year we started out with just a notebook of lesson plans and I went thru and marked it for the day, but no way to keep track of it as to WHAT we had left to do that day, etc. That is when I made the chart.