newbie questions
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    highlyfavored is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default newbie questions

My youngest son is 7 and is lagging behind in 2nd grade. I just noticed that his T4L LA was set for 3rd grade. How did that happen? I would think he'd be a solid 2nd grade if not younger. I know I can change it, but I'm afraid 2nd grade may be too easy, considering T4L set it at 3rd. Every other subject was set at 2nd grade.

2nd question, what do you use the Math toolkit for? Just extra practice?

3rd question, will the system automatically log the student out of the playground when their time is up? Or do they leave that up to the child to log off when the time get's to zero?

4th question, my kids were not doing the quizes after they finished their lessons, because the arrow didn't point to them. I found this out and made them go back and do the quizes, fortunately there weren't too many since we just started last week. But is this correct? Even though the arrow doesn't point to the quizes and tests, are they supposed to do them after they finish the set of lessons on that page?

Hope this all makes sense. I apologize if these questions have been answered before.

Thanks!

Hope

Thanks!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

1. It sounds as though you are concerned that Time4Learning used some criteria to determine your student's grade level on its own. When registering, the parent indicates what grade level they want their student to be working at for language arts and math. If you indicated that you wanted your son to be in second grade for language arts and his lessons were set for third grade instead, then it is an error. You may leave your son in third grade language arts, or you may the Change Education Level link at the top of this page to change it.

To assist in making that decision, you can manually change the level and preview some of the second grade lessons yourself. Just don't complete any of them, so they won't show up on your student's report. Click here for information on avoiding completing the assignments. Second grade language arts includes quite a lot of phonics.

2. The math tool kit contains tools a student might typically use to help work out math problems. Explore them to see which ones your student might want to use during his lessons. There is a calculator (usually a no-no in the lower grades), a geoboard for practicing shapes, counters for visually representing math problems, and more.

3. The system WILL automatically stop the playground when the playground timer has run down. The system WILL NOT automatically stop the student's lesson when the lesson timer has run down. This is to give the student an opportunity to finish the lesson he is working on before proceeding to the playground.

4. The arrow will not point to quizzes and tests, but you are correct that they are intended to be done after the lesson activities on that page are all completed. To avoid forgetting quizzes and tests, I instruct my own children to do them immediately upon finishing the last lesson activity on a page. If they wait until the next day, the arrow will be pointing to the next page, and they are likely to forget that they had a test to do.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

highlyfavored is offline Junior Member Newbie

Excellent! Thank you for your quick response. I don't remember telling T4L what grade I wanted my 7 year old in, I only did that with my 9 year old, since he is in 4th grade. For my 7 year old, it just asked me a series of questions, and none of them were grade related. But that's okay, I think I'll just change him to 2nd grade LA, since I feel he needs that extra phonics help.

Thanks so much!

Hope

omadarlin is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: newbie questions

Kelly,

Is there any way to turn the calculator off? Or disable those tools? I don't want my daughter using it in my absence to do simple calculations.

Thanks!
    Blessings,
    Heather

"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.” ~~ Dorothy Parker

Blog Entries

Heather, there is no way to disable to tool kit. Realistically, your child has easy access to many similar tools if she uses the Internet at all. Some kids need more watching than others. A couple of my kids have been tempted. I tell them that, if they aren't honest, their quiz and test scores will make it obvious that they cheated.

I have keyloggers on all of our computers, so I can go in each day and see every keystroke typed on that computer. (My family is aware of this. I consider it a necessary safety measure.) If your kids aren't super sophisticated with the Internet, a free and easy-to-use keylogger can be found here. If they are a little more Internet savvy, you would want to pay for additional security.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thanks, Kelly.

My daughter isn't tech savvy at all. We have her so locked down that my techie husband has her on a white list instead of a black list (we have a limited number of sites she is allowed to visit) and T4L has been added. I'm concerned with the tool kit sitting right there she may find she has access. I'll just keep an eye out and, periodically, use my husband's laptop and use the remote desktop viewer.

He is still working on a solution for the Linux, but is getting closer, I think.
    Blessings,
    Heather

"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.” ~~ Dorothy Parker

Blog Entries

Ah, so you're a "spy", too. I sometimes hesitate to mention how I monitor my kids' Internet use, because I've received some mixed reactions.

Yes, we spy. I figure, let another parent say I'm overbearing.

My kid doesn't have a cell phone, video games (okay, a handheld Uno, but the batteries are dead), a TV or computer in her room (a CD/AM/FM alarm clock), isn't allowed to listen to music we disapprove of, or even have a "boyfriend" (she's 13). That she has to earn 1 hour of "electronics" (tv, computer or combination), just as she earns "salary" ($ rec. for doing her chores). They can rail because her bedtime is early ... no matter what. Let them think I'm a hag because she doesn't get many sweets.

They don't know my child. They don't know her history or what we are combating in her heart. They don't understand the neighborhood we live in, the public schools we are zoned for, or how those same public schools were about to promote her to 7th grade even though she doesn't understand the first thing about division and still gets confused about nouns and verbs.

They also don't know that she is happy, for the first time in her young life, truly happy. That all of these boundaries, limits, and consistency have provided her with a foundation she can build on.

A wise friend once told me, "You screw up your kids your way and I'll screw up my kids mine."

You go, you spying mom! I think the Lord approves of your diligence, so hang what anyone else thinks!
    Blessings,
    Heather

P.S. Does anyone ever go into the chat room?
    Blessings,
    Heather

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

you screw up your kids your way and i'll screw them up mine .... i'm dying here ... that is so my new quote!!! i'm even going to put it on facebook!!!
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast