NEWBIE - Wondering if T4L is great as a Full Curriculum
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    miami.homeschooler is offline Junior Member

Default NEWBIE - Wondering if T4L is great as a Full Curriculum

I have an issue and am hoping that more experienced homeschoolers can shed some advice. My son had been attending private school since Kindergarten and I took him out of second grade last year because he was missing a whole bunch of school and he was going to have to repeat the second grade. He missed school so much because I could not bear how he hated going to school. It was heart wrenching preparing him for school every morning. It was a blend of liking/disliking his teacher and schoolmates and he always complained that this teacher screamed a lot. Well, my son has always been sensitive to adult scolding (except for his parents). Anyway, since they mentioned that he might have to do summer school and also repeat the second grade, I took him out and decided to home school him.

Since he missed so much school last year, I was hesitant to start him in the third grade and started from scratch the second grade with the Abeka DVD program. Needless to say it has been an excruciating and slow process. I have had to supplement the program with dvds and computer software and movies because he hates the Abeka DVD's. Don't get me wrong, it is a solid program but oh so so so so boring..

Anyway, we are still working on second grade material to finish up the Abeka and I am trying to rush the curriculum to bring him up to third grade level. Since I started the T4L (2nd grade level), he does not want to touch Abeka. HE LOVES T4L. I started on the 3rd grade level and dropped down to 2nd because he felt a bit intimidated with the third grade Science. Can I drop Abeka altogether? Is T4L solid enough to use as a complete curriculum and will it be easy to catch him up on third grade level?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Eli
    Mommy to:

Danny 8

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: NEWBIE - Wondering if T4L is great as a Full Curriculum

A Beka is about a grade level above most other programs and, yes, it can be boring (especially the DVDs).

Time4Learning is aligned to state standards. From third grade up, it is a complete core curriculum. If your son is doing second grade science and social studies, you will find that he runs out of lessons very soon, as they are supplementary lessons only. Second grade math and language arts are very thorough and complete.

I would not do two complete programs. You might consider using Time4Learning for math and language and using A Beka for social studies and science. Next year, at the third grade level, you can use Time4Learning for all four subjects.

We have used some A Beka materials as supplements. The second grade science and social studies are usually pretty enjoyable. We like the third grade social studies, too, but after that A Beka gets soooooo hard! There's a lot of memorization. (Who needs to know the names of all the bones in a bird?!)

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Cathy is offline Senior Member

I was thinking if your son hates Abekka and loves t4l, why not try brain pop for science & ss? Also I use bigIQkids for vocaulary,spelling and states. My kids really like anything interactive and also HATE workbook studies. My youngest son is in 2nd grade and I am not even doing science with him this year. He finished the t4l science but we found out he needs vision therapy for his left eye. For social studies I have him doing states on bigIQkids. Once vision therapy is over, we are going to join bigIQkids and use it for both science & social studies but also continue with the state study on bigIQkids.
    OH my I hope I didn't confuse you....still having my coffee.

Thanks for the great advice. It's funny when I tell my son, "it's time for school" and he responds "Abeka or T4L?" Personally, I do think Abeka is a very strong program but he hates all the writing and especially those DVD's. I don't have him do two programs a day. I try to alternate but get a whole bunch of grief on Abeka day. I am going to stick to T4L for now and research other curricula.

Eli

Mommy to:

Danny 8

Kess is offline Member

Just wanted to add that we just started homeschooling this year, my DD is in 7th Grade. Before starting, I looked at her school’s curriculum for the upcoming year and compared it with T4L, and it is almost exactly the same. That convinced me that T4L was definitely complete enough for us!

Kess

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

You should able to look up state standards through your superintendent's office and see side-by-side how T4L really exceeds their requirements. Just because it's fun doesn't mean it's wrong!

If your son is more of a doer than a watcher, you can always arrange your science and social studies around lapbook projects, field trips, or a more hands-on curriculum. There are so many options for homeschooling out there, do not settle for something that doesn't work for you!
    Melissa.

Thanks Melissa. Being a newbie, It is difficult to stay clear from the old school mentality that textbooks and vigorous writing is the only way to learn. I have had to learn the hard way through my son that there are other alternatives. I have to say my son loves T4L and for a kid that hates learning, it is a major plus. Today we started working on the lessons and included the worksheets. I thought that once I introduced the worksheets he was going to complain but he worked on them painlessly.

I am going to introduce handwriting and Spanish to his curricula once I am convinced that T4L is not overwhelming him and then I believe I am good. There are so many options out there. I chose to homeschool because my son hated school and I don't want him to despise learning. I also think homeschooling gives our kids more freedom to be kids. Classes are so bombarded with so many kids, I am sure many children are left behind not knowing the materials. I make sure my little boy knows the material on hand before continuing the next lesson. I can see the relief and change in him knowing that he does not have to stress over homework and tests. He takes his tests with a bit of concern but with confidence.

Thanks everyone, you guys are great!!

Eli
    Mommy to:

Danny 8

cindy4hope is offline Senior Member

Was wondering what is BiglQkids?

Cindy

Cathy is offline Senior Member

You can click on this: http://www.bigiqkids.com/
    I really like this program. For the spelling, we do 1 lesson per day with their spelling test on Friday. Though we do 2 lessons on Tuesday because we only school 4 days per week. For math drills, you can set it at any level you want. My 5th grader is doing multiplication & division drills, my 2nd grader is doing addition & subtraction drills. I jsut started him on 0,1 & 2's for multiplication. I set that at usually 25 problems per day. Vocab is 1 lesson per day and states we do 1 lesson per day. These are about 15 minute drills. We also print the worksheets and put them in their notebooks. They just had a special all 4 for (I think) $88 for the year, not sure if they are still running that. It usually costs that for 2.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

We didn't care for the math drill on Big IQ kids. My kids liked Timez Attack instead. Big IQ's spelling was fun, but it only goes up to third grade, so we started using SpellingCity instead. (Besides, SpellingCity is free. )

I did like some of the vocabulary games on Big IQ, but do be aware that Time4Learning includes spelling and vocabulary lessons in the language arts extensions. If you use those lessons, you avoid paying for another program. I like to use Time4Learning's spelling with SpellingCity as a fun way to provide extra spelling practice. (I have input all of the fourth grade Time4Learning spelling words at SpellingCity for anyone to use. You can find them by clicking on Find a List and searching for Kelly Stone. Search by "parent".)

We really enjoyed Big IQ Kids' geography last year. It's a good example of how a tiny bit of practice, done every single day, adds up to a lot of learning. I think most of my kids could fill out a blank US map at this point, as well as knowing most of the state caps.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast