no more chapter tests for 6th grade:-(
    Cathy is offline Senior Member

Default no more chapter tests for 6th grade:-(

Well my boys started with t4l today and I wanted them to try to test out of some of the math since they were just in public school and I'm not sure what they already did in school. I like to follow the p/s calendar and break when they do. Anyway....my 3rd grader is able to take the chapter tests and see what he mastered. What ever he masters I'm not having him do since he has already done it in school.
    My 6th grader doesn't have any chapter tests. There are just lessons and then a quiz for the lesson. I guess this was changed form when we used t4l last year. I misss the old style of having chapter tests that show what they master.
    How are some of you handling this is if you want your child to test out of things? I know it doesn't apply to those of you that have started at the beginning of the year and are just going through each lesson, but even those of you that do that, what are you doing since there aren't any more tests?
    Any input on this would be great. I am a bit bummed there aren't any tests

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

The newer math lessons incorporate "testing out" right into the program! The first lesson in every topic is designed to determine whether the student already knows the material or not. If he does . . . he's directed on to the next lesson activity.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thanks so much Kelly!!!
    How do I know if it is a "newer" math lesson? I asked him if there have been any tests so far in the first lesson and he said "no".....ha ha ha I'm so confused

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry. I should have explained that all of the sixth grade math lessons are in the newer format, except for the last chapter, marked "Practice". That chapter is actually the entire "old" math curriculum. Instead of being discarded, it was bundled up and moved to the end to be used, as needed, for extra practice.

Your son is probably not identifying the pre-test activities as "tests". It simply asks a question or two and, based on his answer, it will either give him more explanation and questions or end the activity so he can move on.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

hmmmm I sat and did one lesson with him and we got the first few questions right but it doesn't seem it ended the lesson, it kept going on. I'll have to look at it again after our Christmas break. thanks Kelly...I'm sure it's cockpit error

littletfarms is offline Member

I just stumbled upon this old thread and it peaked my interest. Let me restate what I understand about the built in "Testing out" feature.

Example: Math 6, Chapter 2. If they get an acceptable score on exponents and squares, "power to escape the tower" LA#67258, then they could go on to chapter 2, Order of operations, MA6221. It is on a lesson by lesson basis. Not chapter to chapter.

Is that correct? What score does the program consider acceptable to trigger moving them on?
    Denise in MS
    Homeschooling 4 blessings for 14 years.
    DD93, DS95, DS98, DD00

AnointedHsMom is offline Junior Member

I'm bumping this up because I'd like to know this too. I've signed up my older son because he's a bit behind in math so I backed him up to 4th and I'm letting him test out of each chapter. I'd like to know what will happen when he hits 6th or has all of the math been updated now since this message was originally back in 2010?

Thanks for any info about it,
    Paige
    In Christ,
    Paige in TN
    Married to the love of my life Adam
    Mom to Joshua 13 Abeka and ACE, All About Spelling
    Jacob 6 All About Reading, HWOT, T4L, Abeka, FAIR
    http://www.anointedhsmom.blogspot.com