Odyssey Writer

Thread: Odyssey Writer

jmelton is offline Junior Member

Default Odyssey Writer

Today was my first day using time 4 learning with my son. He had an assignment with the odyssey writer. Even though we clicked save several times it disappeared. I clicked self assessment because he does not have a teacher just me. ( Were home schooling ) In his grades it even shows as an error. Any advise? What are the steps im suppose to take when he is finished typing his assignment?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Welcome to Time4Learning! When finishing an Odyssey Writer assignment, a student needs to click "Hand In". This causes the assignment to be marked as completed, and to appear in the student reports as a link. When a parent notices the assignment in the reports, they should print it and grade it manually. The assessment is just to help you know the kinds of things to look for.

Time4Learning uses curriculum designed for schools, so the grading functions for Odyssey Writer don't work for individual use.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Briana's mom is offline Junior Member Newbie

I am so confused with this Odyssey Writer. Not sure exactly how to grade this. Plus some are blank when I go to print them off

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi. Take another looking the "blank" ones. There probably will be a second page, which is where you will find your student's work.

Odyssey Writer assignments must be graded manually by the parent. There is a built-in rubric to give you an idea of what to look for. In high school English, there are detailed grading guides to help parents grade writing assignments.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

bbooth is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy View Post
    Welcome to Time4Learning! When finishing an Odyssey Writer assignment, a student needs to click "Hand In". This causes the assignment to be marked as completed, and to appear in the student reports as a link. When a parent notices the assignment in the reports, they should print it and grade it manually. The assessment is just to help you know the kinds of things to look for.

Time4Learning uses curriculum designed for schools, so the grading functions for Odyssey Writer don't work for individual use.
    I am so very glad that you clarified this. I have been skipping over the Odyssey Writer assignments because I did not know what to do with the assignment once it was complete. Thanks!

SelfStdyScholar is offline Junior Member Newbie

I found the "turn in" button, and it pulled up a list of names of people it could be turned in to. ?? I assumed that T4L has some retired teachers who take in piecework and grade it, but from one of the replies below that seems not to be the case. Did I do something wrong?

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

You didn't do anything wrong at all. There are no retired teachers--"), just you great Moms and Dads.

The names don't mean anything in the homeschool setting, so you can just click on any of them. In reality, you will look over and/or grade your child's paper. If your child was in public school, the list of names would be actual teachers at that particular child's school/grade and the student would click on his writing teacher to turn in his assignment.

Hope this helps.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

ep617 is offline Junior Member
    Blog Entries

So, is it even necessary for my child to do the Od. writing assignments, in order to complete their grade level and move to the next grade?

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

That's up to you. Some parents have their child complete them all, some do them orally, and some pick and choose the ones they want to complete. If you choose not to complete them, you will still want to mark them so you can move on. Otherwise, the program will assume you have skipped a lesson, thus not having completed everything. If everything is not completed, you will not see the "Mastered" icon.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

Dee
    Dee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I have a question about using the Odyssey Writer with high school students. We have never really used it before but now that I have 2 high schoolers I want them to do the writer assignments. The first one in Eng. 1 tells them to get 4 copies of a template from the tool box. I can't seem to find the tool box anywhere in the OW. What am I missing??
    Mom of 3
    boy '98, girl '00, boy '01 (Aspie)