Odyssey Writer problems
    lauramacf is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Odyssey Writer problems

I'm having some trouble with Odyssey Writer and am wondering if we are doing something wrong. My first difficulty is the extreme slowness of shut down. I've waited as long as 10 minutes for the Writer to close before giving up and having to "x out" of the window (and get logged out). The whole time the little Odyssey icon is showing activity (the colors filling it up slowly), but it never seems to shut down on its own. I thought it might be incompatibility with our Mac, but the same thing happened with our PC. Could this be due to our using Firefox? Is it because we haven't done all of the assignment (thus far we've only typed in a bit of a draft)? For now, we are opening the writing assignments, copying down the questions for response, and doing the writing in a notebook; and that's okay with us, typing is difficult for my son and we may not require it until later in the year--but I'd like to figure out how to properly use the Writer before then. I have checked the Odyssey Hints Section, and so have learned more about all the little buttons in there.

Also, 3 versions of the name "Teacher, Jenny" are listed when we hit the "Hand In" button. Why are those there? Is the child supposed to use them? Is this person going to respond to the turned in assignment, or ?? I was assuming from the hints section that "hand in" would simply make a copy that I could access from the portfolio. If we are not supposed to select Teacher Jenny, what are we supposed to do at the "hand in" point? Also, at what point in the Odyssey writing process would the "Activity Circle" be marked "complete"?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Laura

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Laura, your problems with shutdown could be due to Firefox. Time4Learning has intermittent issues with that browser, and they aren't always the same for each user.

Clicking the "x" is an acceptable way to exit, although you then have to sign back in again.

The curriculum provided by Time4Learning, including Odyssey Writer, was developed for school use. Time4Learning has purchased a license to offer it to individual users. Odyssey Writer does not function as intended when used by individuals. Options are being explored, so the teacher names exist for internal testing. You need to pick one at random in order to hand in the assignment; but, no the "teacher" will not respond.

All clicking "Hand In" does is mark the item complete on your student's report. If he does not click "Hand In", the item will show as incomplete.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

lauramacf is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thanks so much for your responses. I was feeling worried about transmitting my son's silly drafts to a real teacher, that would have been a bit embarrassing! We'll continue on the way we have, I'm not too worried about whether or not we use the Writer right now.