Odyssey Writer question
    cherra is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Odyssey Writer question

Is there a help file within Odyssey Writer? I have tried unsuccessfully to locate one. When I click on the question mark, I don't get anything, and it appears it is grayed out. I need some help with general operation, particularly concerning the graph organizers, etc. and was thinking I would be able to answer my questions in a help file. Is there something that I'm missing in locating it?

Thanks!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

This might answer some of your questions. There are three pages, so click on the arrow at the upper, right-hand side of the page to go on to the next page.

http://www.time4learning.com/hints/Hint ... iter.shtml

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thanks, Kelly. Thanks for sharing that link. I have read it and understand what the functions are. However, I'm having some problems with actual operation of the graphic organizer and note function. I assume there is not a Help section within the Writer? What is the function of the question mark? I assumed that was the Help area, but pressing it does not result in any action. I work with word processing a lot so am familiar with the general workings and usually rely on the Help feature to figure things out when I need it. I'm not finding the Help feature within Writer and just wanted to be sure I'm not missing something. I'll spend some more time experimenting to see what I can learn that way. If anyone has had some experience with the graphic organizer and/or note feature, I would love to hear from you. I feel these features would be helpful in helping me teach my son about the process of taking and organizing notes. Thanks so much!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Cherra, when the student is given an assignment within the language arts program that requires the Odyssey Writer, the Writer will automatically pop up. Features required for that assignment will be enabled (i.e. graphic organizer or notes).

Clicking on the question mark will remind the student of what he is supposed to be writing about and give hints for accomplishing the assignment.

If you access the Odyssey Writer at any other time, (for instance, if you are making up your own writing assignments for your student), the Writer will function only as a very limited word processor.

(Using the Student Portfolio/Reports to access something the child has already written within the language arts program also enables functions necessary for that assignment, to aid with editing.)

I hope this helps. Please continue to ask questions as necessary.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thanks, Kelly - that explains it! Makes more sense to me now.

I can access the graphic organizer and note feature, so I'll experiment with it as time allows and see what I can do with it with what is available. A suggestion to pass on for future consideration is for all of the features of the Writer to be available all the time. I'm certainly going to work with what is currently available to see how I can utilize this to help my son learn to take and organize notes.

Thanks so much, Kelly. That did answer my question.