Odyssey writer question
    HomeofLove4Him is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Odyssey writer question

I understand that the OW isn't actually graded by anyone other than the parents. I *thought* that you could give your kids an assignment (maybe write the assignment on a whiteboard at home or something) then they go on into OW and write it, save it, and hand it in. Then, you log on under their account to access it and "Score" it......and I THOUGHT we were able to hand it back to them? I can't figure this out. I did the "self-assessement" rubrics to try to score something, but no score shows up and I cannot figure out how to hand it back to them.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Odyssey writer question

Time4Learning uses curriculum developed by CompassLearning, who only provides it to schools. Time4Learning has purchased a license that allows them to offer it to individuals. Time4Learning has "tweaked" the program a bit, so that it functions for families. Two things were designed specifically for schools and are not compatible with individual uses. These are the "Assignments" function and the "Grading" function on Odyssey Writer.

Odyssey Writer will automatically pop up when the student is given a writing assignment. The student does the assignment in the Writer and clicks "Hand In". All this does is mark the assignment as complete. When the parent accesses the student's portfolio, the completed Odyssey Writer assignment will appear as a link. The parent can click on the link and print the assignment to grade it manually, or click on the link and view the assignment on the screen without printing it to provide oral feedback.

You can give your student your own writing assignments and he can do them in Odyssey Writer. These parent-assigned projects will also appear as links in the student's portfolio, which you can click on to grade as above.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Ahh ok. So basically, when I click the link to see their writing, I should just print it and edit manually and give it back to them manually.

Odyssey Writer will automatically pop up when the student is given a writing assignment.
    And when does this happen? I thought you said parents cannot give writing assignments? ::confused now::: lol

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

When the program gives the student a writing assignment, Odyssey Writer will automatically pop up.

If you want to give your student a writing assignment that is not part of the program, he can click on the Odyssey Writer icon to access Odyssey Writer and do the assignment.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

I see. Thanks for clarifying!