The Order!

Thread: The Order!

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

Question The Order!

My daughter will not do her work in order and it's driving me crazy! Today, for example, instead of doing one language arts, one language arts extension, and one math, she did three maths. I have her assignments written down by number in order on a calendar and yet she did one from August and two she isn't due to do until next April! Is there any way to get her to focus and get on track?
    Melissa.

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SahmIam View Post
    My daughter will not do her work in order and it's driving me crazy! Today, for example, instead of doing one language arts, one language arts extension, and one math, she did three maths. I have her assignments written down by number in order on a calendar and yet she did one from August and two she isn't due to do until next April! Is there any way to get her to focus and get on track?
    Melissa, at the end of the day is she completing all of her assignments? If she is, I'm wondering if she could have that freedom? As long as...,

a) It's not creating an atmosphere of disrespect.
    b) It's not making her grades go down.

My oldest son and I both have a Strength of "Adaptability" according to Strength Finder 2.0. What that means is we do not do well with daily routine. It depletes our energy and steals our joy. If you allow us to mix things up and change our patterns that alone can make all the difference. I don't know if that is your daughter, but it was just a thought. (((Love you my friend)))
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Melissa, how old is she?

Is she not doing them in order because that's her preference, or because she doesn't understand how to navigate from her launchpad?

When you say you have the numbers written down for her, do you mean you are having her use the Activity Finder?

Do you assign lesson activities in your preferred order, or is following the flashing arrow an option?

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Red face

Okay, so here's what I think it is with my little swan. First of all, she is extremely stubborn! She birdwalks her work done, but when it comes time for standardized testing, she's all over the place. I don't know if she's having trouble focusing for long periods of time or if she's having trouble applying the knowledge she's gaining. She gets nearly perfect scores in math procedures, but the polar opposite in computations. I'm trying to figure out what's going on with her. Getting her to sit down and do her daily work isn't too bad if I can redirect her after each lesson. She's intensely focused on what she's interested in and if it's something she's not into, forget about it!
    Melissa.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Melissa, some kids have trouble with transitions. Your daughter might benefit by doing all math one day, all language arts the next, and so forth. No, that wouldn't be ideal for MOST kids . . . but part of the point of home schooling is to be able to teach in a way that works for our own child.

Her math abilities are just the opposite of most people's.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Good idea, Kelly. I have the misconception that having her do all of one subject in one day would result in info overload, but I think you're right. She does have a lot of trouble transitioning in general.

I just told her she could do as many pages as she wants (she's working in a math book) and she said she wants to do 5. I agreed, though that's all week's worth.
    Melissa.

ThoughtsofTHATmom is offline Junior Member Newbie

I have just told my kids that they need to work for a certain period of time. We only have 1 computer so my kids do up to an hour of work each, we have lunch, then they each do another hour each.

I don't care what order they do their work in as long as they work steadily for that period of time. While their siblings are on the computer, they do their daily writing, reading, and spelling (we use Spelling Power).

Amy