Parent Tips for Time4learning!
    MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Parent Tips for Time4learning!

note: I would love to hear tips from each person. How do you make Time4Learning must effective in your home?

My tip? Make sure you are closely monitoring your children while they are doing lessons.

In the beginning I would grab a cup of coffee and sit with my children while they did their lessons, then as they got the hang of it, I would have them come and get me when they finished a lesson to check their backpack, THEN I started to feel comfortable and I just gave them their daily assignment (2 lessons per subject) and meant to check at the end of the day once they finished everything. I found myself checking every few days.

A couple of weeks ago I started noticing that they were not passing their tests. My husband was concerned that it was the T4L'ing so I sat and had them do their lessons with me watching and sure enough they were not understanding?

I stepped back and prayed about it and fel the Lord urging me to go back and re-examine the last month. I realized that they had gotten so gung-ho with finishing their two lessons per subject that they weren't really paying attention to their scores and were just moving on.

Well, you can't build concepts on wrong information so we went back to about the time I had started to let them work independently and Wa-La we found where the misunderstanding of concepts were coming from.

So now, I help them get started, go ahead and let them work by themselves (though I stay close) and then ask them to get me when they take their quizzes/tests. I can immediately see if there is an area they need to work on.

The truth is T4L'ing does make teaching so much easier and enjoyable but I'm pretty sure they never meant to make quite as independent as I was. I thought I would post this here because I remember hearing from another mom that she didn't feel T4L'ing worked for her because her children didn't work well independently. Truthfully, they are still children and though I want them to work by themselves some of the time, I was getting busy and having them work by themselves [/b]all of the time.

There is a fine line to stay involved and yet giving them the freedom to learn independently. I hope this helps someone else.
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

NewLifeAcademy is offline Member Regular

Great tip MamaMary! I would say to make sure your child knows that you do not expect them to understand everything the first or second time through new concepts. I explain that we will be doing lots of examples and later we will try to do something in the real world to help it stick.

My daughter was very puzzled at first this week with rounding and estimating. I told her to hang in there and play the games and see if it starts to make sense. Today when when went Christmas shopping we had plenty of time standing in the very long lines to estimate by using rounding to make sure we had enough money to pay for our gifts.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Mary, you have written an excellent post.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Cara Mia is offline Junior Member Newbie

Just a quick reply about kids rushing through to complete the lessons and not thinking about their scores... something that is working wonderfully for us is the 80%/mastery rule. If my son doesn't receive an 80% or above on something, he needs to repeat the lesson and do some supplemental work. Knowing this helps him focus on retaining the information and not just whizzing through the lesson.

Just a trick if anyone else is having this problem... and I do agree that being nearby when they are doing especially certain subjects is a good way to ensure they are doing well, but I love that T4L has so many quizzes and ways to constantly evaluate how kids are doing and backtrack if you need to. Coming from public school, the option of being able to check on his progress as frequently as I want to is just indescribably wonderful for us!

crazymotherof-3 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi every one
    We are new to the T4L just this week. Already i have noticed this will be the case for my two kids 5th and 8th grade "no going outside to play till work is complete" so i guess i'll need to stay on top of this!!!!!!!
    the traveling homeschoolers

happymom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default great advice

I just started this week with my Kindergartener and she had problems understanding the questions. At first she was doing good, then I left her alone to continue and she constantly started out with the check mark to SHOW her what she needed to do. So I sat down with her again to make sure she is listening to the questions. I had to repeat the questions several times at times before she understood it. I also think she was a little tired by this time. So I had her finish and we stopped.