Pausing Math lessons?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    cottagechick is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Pausing Math lessons?

First day, first lesson. Frustration.

Son wanted to pause the lesson on roman numerals to write them down. There is no pause button? The teaching part moved too quickly for him to write down or memorize what each numeral was before jumping into the questions.

Are the kids able to pause a teaching lesson, or do they just have to re-watch the entire thing? Help.
    okaybye,
    cindy

decorating adventures ::cottage instincts::
    homeschooling adventures the harvey files

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Cindy, at what math level is he working? There are many different lesson formats, so I need to know which one to look at to tell you how to pause it, or if it can be paused.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

Hey, Cindy-

Both the 5th and 6th grade Roman Numerals lessons have a Resource sheet to print out. This sheet already has the Roman Numerals written out. It probably helps to have the sheet in hand when viewing the lesson. However, if you want to pause a video clip, you can download the video. Move you cursor over the X in the upper right of the video. A little window should pop open asking if you want to download the video. I have not done this, but in theory if you are playing the video on your computer through Real Player you should be able to pause it.

HTH-
    Mandy
    Last edited by Mandy in TN; 09-02-2011 at 04:36 PM.
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

mcbzwyf99 is offline Junior Member Newbie

I agree I believe the lessons, especially in Math go way to fast. I end up having to go over the lessons 2,3, or even 4 times before he gets it. Some children are comprehensively challenged, and take longer to grasp things. I really wish the lessons would be slowed down.

Blog Entries

A couple of my kids have been very math challenged. The great thing about Time4Learning is that you CAN go over the lessons as many times as necessary until they "get it". There is no schedule imposed, like on some other sites we've used. Even the tests and quizzes can be repeated as many times as necessary.

I would have liked to have been able to "pause" or "speed up" a few of the teachers I had in public school.

As Mandy mentioned above, if your student has difficulty with math, you really can't overlook the resource sheets. They're an important part of the program. I sit with my math-challenged kids, to make sure they're doing everything they should be doing. It's so easy for them to just "zone out" in front of the video lesson, and not really pay attention to what is being taught. Sitting with them is still easier for me than teaching the entire concept "from scratch".

Mandy, these lessons are Flash based. I see no way to pause the ones that don't have a built-in "pause" function.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy View Post
    Mandy, these lessons are Flash based. I see no way to pause the ones that don't have a built-in "pause" function.
    I believe you are correct. I just tried to download to real player and only got about 5 seconds of audio.
    Sorry-
    Mandy
    Last edited by Mandy in TN; 10-14-2011 at 09:51 AM. Reason: additional info
    ds Doodlebug 11yo

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Blog Entries

Bummer! I was hoping your idea would work. It was worth a try!

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy View Post
    I would have liked to have been able to "pause" or "speed up" a few of the teachers I had in public school.
    My Doodlbug has found that the math moves too slowly. Our solution to this is to let the video play while we do other things. Then, he just does the required problems. He rolls his eyes that they take so long to explain and then just give him 3 problems of his own.

When my extra student has not grasped something, rather than watch the same activity over and over, we have looked at the same topic at a lower level. So, if she watches x-activity and still doesn't understand what to do, the first thing I do is go to the previous level and look for that topic. If she watches the topic at a lower level and still doesn't understand, then I sit with her and explain the topic myself. Sometimes kids need a little refresher at a lower level in order to move forward. OTOH- sometimes they may not be familiar with the vocabulary or some other little something that a few minutes with a real person can uncover and allow them to move on.

Here is an example of needing a real person: Sometimes the problem isn't with the topic in the current activity, but a topic that they need to understand in order to complete the current topic. My xtra student Cuppycake was having a hard time with rounding. I knew that I had taught her how to round in the past, so I was confused as to why she was struggling even with the lower level. When I sat with her, it was obvious that she knew how to round, but for some inexplicable reason had forgotten place value names! You must be able to find the ten thousands place in order to round to it. LOL After a quick review of place value names she had no problem.

HTH-
    Mandy
    Last edited by Mandy in TN; 10-14-2011 at 09:50 AM.
    ds Doodlebug 11yo

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Blog Entries

Great example, Mandy! I have found it REALLY helpful to sit with my kids. (I'm embarrassed to admit how much I've learned myself that way, too. )

Sundog Cathy is offline Junior Member Newbie

I would REALLY Really like to be able to pause the lesson as well so I can discuss in more detail, then click continue (I use a Mac). IN addition, I'd like to be able to fast forward (or rewind) through the sections he understands vs doesn't so he can grasp the issue without waiting for the lesson to completely replay... any idea where to put 'requests' for Time 4 Learning updates to include this?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast