Please share your best homeschooling advice!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Please share your best homeschooling advice!

I'm looking to compile a selection of bite-sized advice tidbits for new homeschoolers. Some of these may be featured on our Community Home page.

What can you offer?

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Strouse House is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Every child is DIFFERENT!
    Every child learns at a different time table.
    Every child learns differently.
    What works for one child might not work for another even if they are siblings.

Now if only I would listen to this advice myself, sometimes!
    Brandy - Christian (86), Wife (93), and Mother (boy 99, girl 07,boy 08). Homeschooling since 2003. Come check out our adventures in life and Time4Learning.com at Five in Training For Him.

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Teach to your child's STRENGTH'S! Discover what makes them tick and chase after that with all your heart!

Enjoy your journey. It goes by way too quickly. Our children won't remember what we taught them, but they will remember how we made them feel.

Plug into your online and real life homeschool communities. We're Better Together!

Keep it simple. More is not better, more can simply water down your child's experience.

Don't blink! It goes by way too quickly. Enjoy every season, every second
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

RUN WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh ... wait .... you were serious? hmmmmmmm ... ok ok i give, i'll even punctuate correctly (sorry, ee)

Don't try to do everything at once - you AND your kids will resent it.

Education is to be lived and experienced - not begrudged and trudged through.

Homeschool is a family celebration - not a labor mill for grades, books and essays. Have fun!

What feels NATURAL completely trumps what is "NORMAL"!

(and, because you totally knew i would ... from the lighter side...)

Pencil sharpeners do NOT make good doggie chew toys.

Blaring classic rock on the way to the grocery store absolutely counts as music class.

Sharpie marker + brand new couch = big trouble.

Having the kids make mac-n-cheese when you've had a long day counts as home ec.

When the kids catch you talking to yourself, you simply tell them it is a parent/teacher conference.

... and most importantly: Laughter is not extra credit - it is a prerequisite.
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yca View Post

(and, because you totally knew i would ... from the lighter side...)

Pencil sharpeners do NOT make good doggie chew toys.

Blaring classic rock on the way to the grocery store absolutely counts as music class.

Sharpie marker + brand new couch = big trouble.

Having the kids make mac-n-cheese when you've had a long day counts as home ec.

When the kids catch you talking to yourself, you simply tell them it is a parent/teacher conference.

... and most importantly: Laughter is not extra credit - it is a prerequisite.
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Oh, Jess! Thanks for that! I used it on the front page (Community Home), to get the ball rolling on this feature. Go look!

Everyone else, your tips will be featured, one or two at a time. Please keep them coming! Great ideas, great advice here!
    Last edited by hearthstone_academy; 07-21-2010 at 10:11 AM.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

i <3 you!!! you have no idea how .... UGH!!!! ... my day was today. to see that you had featured my post ... ok - i'm only going to share this *here*, but literally, i cried. (sheesh - hormones much?!?!?!?)

thank you for bring a rainbow to my stormy day!!!
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

adria2328 is offline Senior Member

R.E.L.A.X. is my advice. If anyone needs to know how *not to act message me for my address. I am overly nuts at times. (ok most of the time) I am trying VERY hard to take my own advice.

And one more that I stole from Mary is be consistent even if it's only for 15 minutes per day doing Math. Just be sure to do it every day!

Thats my .02, next?
    Adria
    Mommy of 4
    Bryanna 13
    Ralphy 7
    Coleman 5
    GraceAnn 3

timmysmom is offline Member

Look at the quality of the learning, not the quantity of how many lessons get done in a day.

No matter what or how we teach, we have no control over how their brains process the information.

If your child says, "Do you want me to tell my brain to do that?", the answer is almost always, "yes".
    Sandra
    Mom to Mo, Chet and the Tim-inator!!!

Preschool worksheets
    Worksheets created by my cousin for preschoolers!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by timmysmom View Post
    Look at the quality of the learning, not the quantity of how many lessons get done in a day.

No matter what or how we teach, we have no control over how their brains process the information.

If your child says, "Do you want me to tell my brain to do that?", the answer is almost always, "yes".
    I especially love your number one I think the one mistake I made my first year with time4learning was sitting down and making a schedule of how many lessons we had to do per day to complete the program in a certain amount of time. I found us all frustrated when they would then get stuck and it would throw our schedule off.

Halfway through I also adopted your number one and what a difference it's made! This is a GREAT tip and one I would have really loved when I got started. Thanks for sharing that

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast