Pre-Algebra/Algebra question
    Cherine Rossman is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Pre-Algebra/Algebra question

Hi,

I'm trying to plan ahead for next year and have a question on the Algebra piece on T4L. I know it says it covers Pre-Algebra and Algebra. Can someone explain the breakdown of which chapters are considered Pre-Algebra? Like maybe chapters 3-4 are considered Pre and the rest Algebra?

Also, the charter school I am using allows students to take Algebra in middle school and have it counted as high school credit. Is this Algebra unit considered equivalent to high school Algebra or is it made easier for middle school?

Thanks in advance!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

The course title is "Algebra", and it's for "advanced" middle schoolers, so I interpret that to mean it's equivalent to a first year high school algebra course. Two of my kids used this as their freshman algebra, and they were well prepared for college. I can't imagine needing to take another beginning algebra course after completing this one.

Math concepts overlap, and they aren't defined well enough to neatly label some as "algebra" and others as "pre-algebra". Each curriculum publisher will have its own ideas about what to include in those categories.

I can share that Time4Learning algebra is very, very easy at first, and becomes progressively more difficult. My kids eventually found it to be challenging. With that information, and knowing that there are 312 lessons, most including a worksheet, I would feel comfortable assigning half or less to a middle schooler as "pre-algebra", and the rest the following year as " algebra". Time also has to be allowed for the frequent tests.

Of course, if you are hoping to have a public school or other program "count" this as high school algebra, you will need to have their approval first. As I mentioned earlier, there isn't any universal agreement about what to include in the various courses.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Cherine Rossman is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thanks, this was helpful information!