pre k question

Thread: pre k question

kfnove9 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default pre k question

I just started the pre k program w/ my daughter. Do I just work through the themes and then move on to the letters and math after the themes on the home page are worked through? I wasn't sure how to go through everything.

Thank you,
    Karen

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: pre k question

I'm not sure what letters and math you are talking about. Maybe you have icons for the kindergarten level on your launchpad?

For most kids, it's a good idea to spend a week on each preschool theme. Introduce the theme with the first activity, which will be a book, video, or song. Encourage your child to listen to the book, movie, or song as often as he/she wants. Preschool children benefit from a lot of repetition. If your student doesn't initiate the repetition, you might want to start each day's school session withi that week's book, movie, or song.

Several activities follow the introductory book, video, or song. The first time they are attempted, they should be worked in the order presented. All activities will be checked off as "complete" the first time they are worked through. Again, repetition is valuable (essential, in fact) for children of this age, so allow your child to repeat any activities that he shows an interest in as often as he likes. If he doesn't seem interested in repeating activities, express an interest in one yourself. "Oh, I liked this patterning activity! Why don't you help me do some patterning? Watch, and tell me if I make a mistake." If you get bored of hearing the same activity over and over, then your student might be getting close to having repeated it often enough.

Once he has worked through a few themes, your child's school time can include going back to previous themes and repeating activities he especially enjoyed. A preschooler's sessions at the computer should probably not exceed half an hour, so be sure you aren't expecting a longer attention span than your child is capable of. (Some children will be attentive for an hour or more, but computer time should be balanced with hands-on activities.)

Throughout the week, find ways to extend that week's theme. We are gathering ideas for extension activities in the Resources forum, so please share the ones that are especially successful for you. For example, during the "Farm" theme week, put your child's farm play set and farm animals in a prominent place in your home. (creative play) Choose farm animal books as bedtime stories. (pre-reading skills and animal science) Buy your child a stick horse if he doesn't have one . . . or make a cardboard head, stick it on a broom stick, and show him how to use it as a stick horse. (large motor skills) Cut pictures of farm animals out of magazines or find some on the Internet and have your child glue them to construction paper. (fine motor skills) You get the idea. Some parents like to find a coloring page depicting the week's theme, have their student color it, and post it on the refrigerator as a reminder to the family of that week's theme.

Some weeks, you will only have time for the online lessons, and that's okay, too. Just talking with your student throughout the day about what he is learning helps reinforce the concepts. Be sure and ask questions, but not quiz-type questions. For example, if you pass a horse pasture while traveling in the car, you might say something like, "You're learning about farm animals on Time4Learning this week, aren't you? A horse is a farm animal! Which horse do you like best? My goodness, I didn't know that horses came in so many colors! There's a white one and a brown one . . . I see four horses out there. Is that how many you count?" Of course, you will stop and give your child time to respond instead of babbling on as my example, but you get the idea.

Have FUN with preschool!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

kfnove9 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you for your response. Just wanted to say that my girls LOVE it!!! We were only going to sign up my 5 year old but my 3 year old was begging to do "preschool." We signed them both up and they are loving it. My oldest has down syndrome with limited speech and this is perfect for me to know what she understands because she doesn't have to talk.

Thanks again!
    Karen

littlemomof3 is offline Junior Member Newbie

BY "THEME" do you mean "Alphabet" or "School Supplies" or "On the Farm"? Are you meaning to stay ON one of those topics for a week at a time?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Karen, my four-year-old with Down syndrome is using this, too. He can't use a mouse, so I am clicking for him at this point. He can use the touch screen to play games on my iPhone, so I've ordered a touchscreen for him, hoping it will work with T4L preschool. I'll post, probably in the special needs forum, after we've had a chance to try it out.

littlemomofthree, yes those are themes. Of course, the program can be used any way you desire, but most students benefit from lots of repetition, accompanied by off-computer extension activities. The program is in the process of adding "Idea Books" with extension activities. You can see one of them under the "Music" theme.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!