Preschool area

Thread: Preschool area

littlemomof3 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Preschool area

Hello,
    I am an new but not I am new to the Preschool area of this. I read thru some of the posts about the preschool area but Im still not quite sure how to use it. I see all these areas to choose from but I want her to have a little bit of everything everyday. Like she would in a brick built school.... can anyone give me a way to do this??

thx
    Aaron

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Preschool area

Children in a brick built school have a bit of everything every day? That hasn't been my impression, but it probably depends on the school.

The preschool program begins with very elementary activities. Patterning and visual discrimination are important pre-reading skills. These are reinforced by the games that go with the themed activity. Besides making the program more interesting to the student, the themes add some science and other topics that you wouldn't normally cover in a preschool program.

I'm not sure what the "everything" you are looking for might be, to be honest. Can you expand on that a little, so I can help you find it?

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

littlemomof3 is offline Junior Member Newbie

I guess what I am trying to figure out is what and where are the "themes" are these the "school supplies" "alphabet" ... and such? Most seem to be doing 1 "theme" a week? am I understanding this?

crstarlette is offline Senior Member

I too have read that some people spend one week on each theme. I guess I see the preschool area a little differently. I consider it a great resource, but not really a "curriculum" partly because we have never done anything very elaborate for preschool in our house. My youngest likes to come to the T4L site because he his big brothers use it and just because he likes to be on the computer. It makes me happy that his time spent playing computer games is also educational. So, each day he comes to the site I just let him choose what he wants to do, while sometimes encouraging him to pick something he hasn't done yet. I consider the order unimportant and repetition good. He just has fun and learns while he's at it!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Time4Learning is intentionally designed to be very flexible. There are "recommended" ways to use the curriculum, but everyone is free to personalize the program to fit their own children.

Some people want a lot of structure in a program. Aaron sounds like one of those people. Others prefer a less structured approach, such as crstarlette's. You two might be interrested in the homeschool quiz.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!