Preschool Curriculum
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    abbysmom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Preschool Curriculum

Hello! Today is my first day using this program. I am using the preschool program for my 4 year old. I have read through all the information but still cannot determine how to set up a daily program. The charts showing how many lessons per subject per grade level don't show the preschool curriculum. For those of you familiar with this age group, how many lessons/subject boxes do you do per day? My daughter finished 4 of the topics this moring within about 45 minutes and wanted to keep going. At this pace it doesn't seem like the subjects will last throughout the school year? I'd appreciate your help, thank you!
    -Lisa

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Preschool Curriculum

Lisa, most families concentrate on one theme per week. Although the lessons are checked off the first time they are gone through, preschoolers benefit from MUCH repetition. The last thing you want to do is let her blast through the lessons at lightning speed. Encourage her to play the games every day throughout the week. Preschoolers also need their lessons to be supplemented with a lot of hands-on extension activities.
    Last edited by hearthstone_academy; 03-05-2012 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Expired url

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

we're not going to be doing the preschool until after the first of the year, we decided. but i've made a "lesson plan" for lilly. (joked about this with heather yesterday, and she made sufficient fun of me, ya'll don't have to join in lol). we're taking a week to study one letter, one number, one shape, one color, and one theme. for instance, this is our first week, so we're doing a, 1, circles, red and same/different. i print out a bunch of materials (google and free!!) and we've bought a couple of the preschool workbooks from walmart/office max. and target. hth
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

Kelly-
    So you are saying that "School Supplies" in the preschool curriculum is one theme? You spend one week on that? Do I understand you correctly?
    Thanks for your help,
    Lisa

Jess- thank you for your help. Those are some great ideas... so the one "theme" per week is the "Time 4 Learning" curriculum and the rest of your plan is something separate that you came up with on your own? (one letter, one number, one color)
    -Lisa

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by abbysmom
    Kelly-
    So you are saying that "School Supplies" in the preschool curriculum is one theme? You spend one week on that? Do I understand you correctly?
    Thanks for your help,
    Lisa
    Yes, I spen one week on each theme. There will be forty themes when the curriculum is finished (within a few weeks). During the "School Supplies" week, you might want to take your child shopping for some school supplies, set up a study area, talk about how to take care of school supplies, learn to sharpen pencils, and so forth. Although it's great to get a child of this age accustomed to working on the computer, activities away from the computer are important, too.

Of course, part of the advantage of homeschooling is using a curriculum your way.

For free, printable activities on just about any of the themes, try this site. It's one of my favorites for preschoolers! If you do the number/letter/shape of the week thing, you can find LOADS of ideas there. I like the letter buddies (dress the letter "Q" up like a queen, etc.) and the number buddies.

The preschool at Time4Learning teaches numbers, letters, and shapes, but it also does a good job teaching some social studies and science concepts that aren't usually found in a preschool curriculum. The combination of T4L online preschool and your own, hands-on extension activities can't be beat!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

denimay is offline Senior Member

Kelly.......are you using: http://www.letteroftheweek.com/ ???? Your program sounds almost exactly like theirs and I'd hate to think you spent all that time making your plans when you could've just downloaded!! I LOVE that DLTK site!! I've printed out soooooo much stuff from there!! cheers! deni.....
    deni may ............
    artist and teacher

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

http://www.currclick.com/?affiliate_id=15313

Blog Entries

I've gotten some great ideas from Letter of the Week, but have never completely followed the program. It's a little intense for most kids, but It's wonderful to pick and choose activities from.

Thanks for all your help. One more question..... The playground section has told me I have no minutes left, but I've never used it? So each time i've gone to let my child click on the playground button it doesn't work. Please help. It's so sad for her....

Blog Entries

Sign in as a parent and you can adjust your child's timer settings. Set the amount if time you want her to have to work first, followed by the amount of time she's allowed on the playground.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast