Question about activity/assignment numbers
    ShaylaH is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Question about activity/assignment numbers

I am trying to figure out a lesson plan for my son. The Lesson Plan says there are 64 activities for 8th Grade Language Arts. But looking at it further there are hundreds of little assignments! What do these numbers represent? How am I suppose to divide things up for the school year? I need to be able to tell my son, who has learning disabilities, the assignments he is going to be doing. I also need a way to make sure he has completed his assignments at the end of the week. Help!

Shayla

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Shayla, that appears to be a typo! Yikes! I'll report it right away. There are 134 eighth grade language assignments (plus the language arts extensions, of course). That's a little less than one language lesson a day, if you follow a typical school year schedule. The language lessons are so fun that it's hard to hold most kids back, but I've had good results by "rationing" the fun stuff. Information presented in small amounts over a period of time tends to be retained (committed to long-term memory instead of just being "learned" long enough to pass a test). Also, it helps keep that initial enthusiasm for this "fun" way of doing school going!

Are you having your son follow the flashing arrow? Just tell him to choose a subject icon (i.e. language arts) and to keep clicking where the arrow points until he reaches an activity. For eighth grade, I would say something like, "Do one language arts and two maths each day. Also do two language arts extensions on Monday. On Tuesday and Thursday, also do science. On Monday and Wednesday, also do social studies."

With that schedule, he will complete language arts before the school year is finished, at which time he can add an additional social studies lesson each week, since there are just a few too many to finish social studies with just two lessons a week.

That schedule leaves all of the math "Practice" lessons as extras, to be used only if he needs additional practice with one of the math concepts. Those "Practice" lessons are actually the old math curriculum, minus the quizzes and tests. When the math curriculum was updated, the old curriculum was moved to the end of the new program and labeled "Practice", since the lessons were really too get to eliminate entirely. The math curriculum is complete without them, but they are wonderful when extra practice or review is needed.

That schedule puts language arts extensions at the beginning of the week so, if he has a longer reading, writing, or research project, he can work on it all week.

(When my kids are using art, I assign it once or twice a week and have them do all of the "See Art" in one section one time, all of the "Say Art" in one section the next time and all of the "Do Art" the next time. Done this way, there are 47 sessions.)

Your student's portfolio contains records of his work. To view it, log in as your student. Click on the backpack icon at the upper, left of the screen. The portfolio defaults to the "Recent Work" tab, which is a good way to quickly check on program access. All access will appear there, even incomplete work, and it remains there a maximum of one month. To view and print grade reports, click on the "Reports" tab within the portfolio. There, you can view or print a customized report. Only completed work appears there, and it should be retained indefinitely. Because technology is never perfect, Time4Learning recommends that parents print a weekly grade report.

I hope this has helped. It does take some time to get used to any new program.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

ShaylaH is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thanks Kelly... this helps alot. I'll just assign it as you suggested.

As a FYI... some of the other numbers are wrong also. And the people that I've talked to when calling Time4Learning really don't know how the activities are assigned. I've got different answers from different people and none of the answers worked out. LOL

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry you had poor luck with support, Shayla. Time4Learning is practially famous its excellent customer service.

I'll count all of the activities and report the updated numbers. It could be that the numbers on the lessons plans haven't been changed as the lessons were updated. Thanks so much for calling this to our attention! It's sure to be confusing for new members.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!