Question about the daily lessons
    schoollife123 is offline Junior Member

Default Question about the daily lessons

I'm copying this from the "getting started" section, I may have posted it in the wrong section. I'm hoping someone will have some experience with this situation. Thanks! Greetings, We have been using T4L for about 3 weeks now. I've notice that the content in some areas are very short. I'm a bit worried about my children not really grasping the whole concept. I know this sounds crazy but it just doesn't seem repetitive enough. They learn a concept and then immediately they are tested. Well when they take the test, they remember what they just learned but it really isn't retained. This of course isn't true for all concepts but I've noticed it on a few of them. I decided we should start taking notes on each new concept they are learning. I'm hoping that may help retention. We plan on using T4L for the next year (before deciding anything). I'm just wondering if the concepts will continue to be so quickly taught, meaning, just a few learning areas and then the test. I have one child in the younger section and one in the middle section, just in case that makes any difference. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi!
    It's funny you mention this because my friend was just telling me that her daughter thinks some of the lessons are too repetitive and she doesn't like sitting through a whole lesson that she already understands. I suggested she skip the lesson or do some lessons in the next grade level. For my daughter, on the other hand, we sometimes have to repeat lessons to make a new concept more concrete....or I'll print the optional worksheets when the lessons have them or create my own.

Each child is so different. And that's why I like this curriculum. We get to use it as is best for each of our children. As a homeschooler, I appreciate having the freedom to customize my chiild's curriculum. They can work at their own pace, they can repeat or skip lessons/quizzes and tests as needed, and each time they repeat a test or quiz, the questions are different. There's also the benefit of going up or down a grade level. Sometimes we can access the same concept in a grade level lower or higher.

Hopefully someone else will chime in here with their experience and their thought, too.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

As mom of six, I agree with Janet. They have all had different opinions about how much is "too much" and how much is "not enough". I remind them that, if they were in a traditional school setting, they would be required to sit through the teacher's lecture, even if they already knew the material and to seek out additional help if they didn't "get it" the first time.

I love your note taking idea. Note taking is an important skill, and just the act of writing something down helps many kids remember.

Remember that lessons can be repeated as many times as necessary, too.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

schoollife123 is offline Junior Member

I too see that some are more repetitive than others. I think with the note taking, it will be fine. I just worry a lot about the annual testing. I want to make sure they are at grade level. I think I'll start a new thread asking what other people supplement with throughout the year. I know I read some people do supplement on here and I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything as T4L is working great so far.