Question about how repeat testing affects grade percentages
    brykyldanthom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Question about how repeat testing affects grade percentages

Hello:

I am struggling with my 12 year old son's apathy towards schooling. We have always homeschooled and he has always lagged behind his 11 year old brother when it comes down to "getting it done."

When we started T4L, I saw some really welcomed changes in his attitude towards school. He liked the independence and was doing really well for a while, but it seems we are heading backwards.

While my 11 year old is careful and organized to read the lessons before testing, my 12 year old just literally wants to get "to the test." My question is this - I require at least 90% for tests and quizzes so that I know that my boys are grasping the lessons in front of them. But with my older boy taking and retaking some of the tests to meet this 90% level, how is the overall grading affected?

I know that in My Portfolio I can see the completed lessons and the grade percentages achieved, but are they reduced with every attempt at a test? Is there a place, besides My Porfolio, to see overall grading in letter-form?

Thank you!

Julie

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Grades are given in percentages. There is nowhere on this site where they are converted to letter grades. You can do an Internet search for tables to convert percentage grades to letters, but each school's will be slightly different.

Your student essentially receives an average of all attempts. That is how schools commonly handle repeated attempts. You can see why that would be. A student who earns 100% on the first attempt might object to another student who took three tries receiving the same grade.

A simple example is if your student gets 50% on his first try and 90% on his second try. His average will be 70%. His repeated attempts DO affect his overall average (because his second and subsequent tries don't eliminate his initial attempt). If you require 90% before he proceeds, you can probably rest assured that he has learned the material. He won't receive as high of an overall score as a student who learned it the first time through, though.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

brykyldanthom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you, Kelly! If you could please help me understand one more thing. When I check My Porfolio and see 3 attempts and 3 percentages, where are the grades shown with the final averaged percentage? Is My Porfolio the only place that I can find grade and subject percentages?

Julie

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

It's in My Portfolio, but you want to make sure to click on the Reports tab. My Portfolio defaults to the Recent Work tab, which just shows work for the current day, without totals/averages. You can customize the actual Reports any way you like.

Click here to view information about the Recent Work tab.

Click here to view information about the Reports tab. (Averages are shown at the bottom of your student's Report.)

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!