Question about mastery vs completed
    Lena is offline Member

Default Question about mastery vs completed

Hi fellow parents.

I'm curious as to how you handle subjects that are marked completed (the lesson is complete) but when your child takes the test, they miss a question or 2 related to that topic, so that skill/topic is not mastered, simply completed.

I'm wondering specifically about math. And wondering whether or not to have my child redo the math lessons that are completed but not mastered. And if we do that, will he have to retake the entire test or just the missed questions? Is there a way to do that?

Look forward to some feedback as to how you handle this.

Thanks.

Lena

Skool Time is offline Senior Member

They cant really take just the missed questions.
    What i'll do is just retake the test if my daughter missed a couple of questions.
    We dont redo the lessons, because before we exit, 1.) we make sure we understood the lessons, if not we dont exit and we'll go back. 2.) we take notes each time we do lessons.
    Before we take the test, we open her notebook and review the notes. This is what works for us, because we almost never see the 'completed' mark.
    Last edited by Skool Time; 12-07-2010 at 07:46 PM.

Cathy is offline Senior Member

If my kids aren't able to master it, I usually have them redo the lesson....typically if it's math. A lot of times it also depends on the question. If it's math and you can tell they are just guessing, I'll have them redo. If it's LA and is a simple mistake like capitalizing a state etc I'll explain it and just go on.
    I know that wasn't a black or white answer but hope it helps

Lena is offline Member

Thanks for the feedback. I like the idea of taking notes, honestly never thought of that. It may slow our pace way down.
    I did end up having him review 1 lesson in one chapter and then retake the test, he did master that one. And, it was helpful for me to see that drilling him on his math facts, and having extra practice is paying off. Gotta keep that up. Then, on the other chapter, I let him decide if he wanted to review the lessons or just take the test. He picked take the test and got the correct answers, so mastered it as well.

I just need to keep an eye on things, I guess. I think that this is especially important for math. And you are right, I can tell if he's just guessing versus thinking and trying to figure it out. There is a difference.

Thanks again for the feedback, and if any one else has any other ideas/ways of handling this, I'd be happy to hear (read) them too.

MeMa is offline Junior Member

We do other studies in the subject from many websites and books. I might do an overhead projector lesson as well. Sometimes they will retake the test in T4L or I will make a test on my own including the other lessons questions too...sparking the fire...not the filling the bucket. (have a great day & Happy Holidays to everyone)
    Me, the kids, the dog and the chickens.... Oh and a whole lot of books.
    I smile every day, but some days, life smiles at me and it's a darn good thing. LOL

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.
    W. B. Yeats

Skool Time is offline Senior Member

We have to try what works, even if it slow us down.
    Honestly its easy and fast. Only slows you down at first but when u get used to it, it will be easy peasy.
    And you'll be happy in the end, coz you may not see the 'completed' but 'mastered' mark.