Question about seventh grade Science
    smjlfn is offline Junior Member

Default Question about seventh grade Science

Hi y'all. I am doing the lesson plans and saw on the lesson plan sheet that they do not have any Science activities. When I went into the seventh grade science portion it had the whole subject and worksheets. I am really confused. If there is Science then how do I know how many activities are in this subject. I am trying to get things planned out. Thanks ya'll.
    Sharon

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Sharon, because there is no seventh grade science available, seventh graders who haven't used Time4Learning before are usually given access to sixth grade science . . . which is plenty challenging! The difference between grade levels is content . . . not difficulty.

Look at the second picture on the Changing Grade Levels page. It will show you how to tell which grade level your student is accessing from within his launchpad, so you can test my theory that he's probably been given access to sixth grade science. If that's the case, just look at the sixth grade lesson plans.

I actually had my kids do fifth grade science in seventh grade, and sixth grade science in eighth grade. That way, I had enough science to last until high school. The science lessons cover way beyond what is necessary.

If you decide you want your child's grade level changed in any subject, you can do it within the parent login.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

As soon as I realized that there was no science available for those grades, I slowed Jack way down and added stuff here. Even though he's finishing up 5th grade lessons, he's still on like 3rd grade science. He only does a couple of lessons a week, and I have found several resources and science books, so he uses those, too. He does science probably 3 days/week, but only once on here. One thing that he's really enjoyed doing is studying the history of science, biographies on scientists and what they studied, inventions, etc. In conjunction with those projects, he's learned how to write comprehensive reports, he's built the inventions out of Lego's and other art supplies. Hope some of that helps
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

Thanks y'all. My dh is afraid that she will be embarrassed or have low self esteem if she does sixth grade science. I also have a sixth grader. How could I do this?
    Sharon

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Sharon, why don't you and your husband take a couple of the science tests, and see how you do? I think the science is so thorough that almost any student could benefit from levels four through six. If I had a sixth grader that had never done T4L science before, I'd start him/her out in fourth grade science. So, in your shoes, I guess I'd use level four science for your sixth grader and level five science for your seventh grader. That way, neither of them would run out of science until high school. If it helps, that's exactly what I did with two of my kids, who scored well enough on the science portion of their standardized tests that the state auditor made a "wow!" type of comment.

It's for this reason that I never told my kids "level" corresponds to "grade". When they finish one level, they're happy to move to the next. I place them where I figure they need to be. My fifth grader was doing level three math and level seven language.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thank you Kelly. That is what we decided to do. I moved my sixth grader to the fourth and my seventh grader to fifth. That's a great idea of just telling them the level they are on and not the grade thank you.
    Sharon