Question about starting mid year
    Melissa-N-IA is offline Junior Member

Default Question about starting mid year

My daughter started homeshcooling a week ago after Christmas break and since I am not sure where she is at we are starting at the beginining of 5th grade. In my state (Iowa) my daughter has the option to take an assesment test at the end of the year and even though the first test will be used as a baseline I am a little worried. The teachers at the PS are able to prepare the students for this test so since I am starting at the beginining of her grade level I am just wondering if she will be prepared for what she will be tested on. Another question is do I have her complete all of the lessons or have her do as much as she can for the year and then start her in 6th at the start of next year? Just a little confusing starting in the middle.

Thanks,
    Melissa

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Question about starting mid year

melissa - that is a lot of questions for a monday morning ... i hope i've had enough coffee

first ... the state assessment test. you said she has the -option- to take it. i'm wondering if you then also have the option to -not- take it. we don't take the school assessment tests in our family (long story), but take a different standardized test (the link to which i can't find right now for some reason, if you would like it, i'll post later). it's administered by a teacher friend of mine and we spend a few days later in the summer - almost at the beginning of the school year. because it is a nationally recognized test, it looks really good for the kids to have taken it. but... that's just us.

one of the things that frustrates me most about how florida does the assessment test is that the teachers spend the entire year teaching FOR the test. there's little time for extra or exploration because everything depends on how well the students perform. schools are allotted their budget based on test results, and even teacher bonuses depend on the test. nuts

one good way to see where she is is to have her go thru and take the chapter tests. if she passes with flying colors, you know she's already covered it. if she has a couple of mistakes, you know its something she's at least seen, but might need to review. if she bombs it completely, you know she hasn't seen it yet. remember also that just because she's in 5th grade, doesn't mean she's in 5th grade everything across the board. she might be in 6th grade english and 4th grade math. the beauty of this program is that she can work where she's most comfortable and build upon those skills.

there are no rules to how you use this curriculum. you can begin in the middle or the beginning or wherever your daughter feels most comfortable. t4l doesnt' require you to follow a set of standards. there is no finish line, and if you end up not getting into 6th grade until the middle of 6th grade, that's just the way it is. not having any rules was probably the hardest hurdle for me to get over. you and your daughter are in the driver's seat and control what is going to be covered and what isn't, at what speed, and when to finish. my only suggestion is that you finish it before she's 20

hope that helps, let us know if you have any more questions of if i didn't answer that completely.
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

Melissa-N-IA is offline Junior Member

Thanks for your response. I think I decided on the test route because its either that or using a Supervising Teacher and I dont have anyone lined up and with us starting mid year I wanted to start homeschooling without having to wait and find someone. It is harder then I would have expected to stop thinking in public school terms. I am just used to grade levels and getting through all of the material but, like you said this is our homeschool and we are doing what works for us.

Melissa

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

exactly! you got it!!
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!