Question regarding quiz scores and time on T4L
    Brandisboys is offline Junior Member

Default Question regarding quiz scores and time on T4L

I am wondering why the T4L time keeping software doesnt always keep an accurate count of how long my children are working. For instance, this evening we worked well over an hour (close to 2 hours) and it didnt show up.
    Also, when my son does not pass a quiz and I have him do it again, why does the score not show the 2nd time, or update the 1st score? Whether he re-does the quiz through his profile, or I log in on mine, and show him the score, and he does it again from there it still doesnt change the score. PLease help me understand this....
    Thanks,
    Brandi

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Brandi. Are you looking beneath the actual Reports tab, or just in the Recent Work? The Reports should show all time logged in to each activity (Florida time).

Tests and quizzes can be repeated as many times as you like. The original grade is not replaced. Each attempt is averaged in to the final score. This is because the curriculum was designed for schools, who do not like to award the same grade to a student who requires multiple attempts and a student who scored well the first time. You can use the information provided in the Reports to calculate a grade your own way. Many parents choose to cross out the first attempts and only average the final "good" score into the grade. Many homeschool parents eventually don't award a grade at all, as grades were designed as a way for the teacher to let the parent know how the child was doing in school.

If all attempts are not showing up in the Reports, be sure you are exiting the activities properly, so they are marked as completed. You can find information about doing that within your parent login.

I hope this causes the reports to be more helpful to you.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

SherlockianMom is offline Junior Member

I would love to see T4L add the capacity to show how a student did when they retook an exam. Perhaps we should start a thread with an "upgrades/changes" wishlist? This seems to be something I see coming up in the forums often.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Sherlock. Work that is repeated appears in the student's reports . . . including tests and quizzes. All attempts are averaged in to the final percentage score.

Time4Learning leases curriculum developed by Compass Learning, who only provides it to schools. Time4Learning repackages the leased curriculum somewhat, to make it available to individuals and families. Time4Learning does report errors in the curriculum and "wishes" from users to Compass Learning. T4L has made many changes and additions to their "packaging" based on users' requests, but they are unable to alter portions of the program developed by Compass.

The student records were developed for use in schools and follow the customary method of awarding the average of multiple attempts. In schools, teachers are reluctant to award the same grade to a student requiring multiple attempts and a student who scored well on the first attempt. For home use, families are free to use information in the reports to calculate a grade any way they wish, including crossing out multiple attempts and re-calculating a final score. (Since grades are a way for the teacher to let the parent know how the student is doing, I have never felt the need to give my children "grades" in their subjects.)

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!