Question regarding spelling rules
    susanmscovell is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Question regarding spelling rules

I noticed in the Lang Arts Lesson plans/Scope and sequence the description for each of the spelling lessons said: consistently apply the rules of spelling unit __ . I've tried going through one of the lessons to find the spelling rule but, was unable to find anything and there wasn't any further info in the Lesson plans/Scope and sequence .

Does anyone know where I would find this info?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

For what grade level, Susan?

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

susanmscovell is offline Junior Member Newbie

Sorry, I should have included that info. I'm looking at 4th grade.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

That IS confusing, isn't it?

Especially at lower grade levels, spelling words are often grouped according the phonics rule they follow. For instance: "If there's only one vowel in a one-syllable word, the vowel will be short, unless it comes at the end of the word". Then, the list will consist of words such as man, tin, bug, and so forth.

The lesson plans probably use terminology from state or national spelling standards. Since all spelling words can't be grouped according to a phonics rule, when reading, "Consistently applies the rules of spelling unit ___", I would "pretend" the phrase " . . . when a common rule exists" was added on to the end of it.

There are a few lists throughout the program which do adhere to one rule. In that case, the rule is listed at the bottom of the spelling list, usually on page three. I found a couple at grade level five.

I'm sorry for the confusion.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!