Questions soc n sci promoting to next grade and more
    sistahqueen is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Questions soc n sci promoting to next grade and more

My first question is concerning the soc. studies and science. My son is in grade 2 and he has done all the lessonse in soc. and science for that grade. They are marked completed and not mastered. There seems to be no test that he can take to master but yet there are also no more science or soc studies lessons to do.
    Is this typical for this grade level or are we just not getting any more lessons fo that grade?
    Since it seemed as if we were stopped in our tracks for the 2nd grader level soc and science we started on the 3rd grade lessons for soc. and sci.

My next question is concerining how do I know when to promote my child to the next grade overall? Is this something I must do myself or is it automatically done thru Time4Learning? I just do not want to end up promoting him and he is not ready to be promoted.

Another question is concerning my 2yr old daughter. She is so capitvated ny watching her brother on the computer and him doing his lessons, I would like to know when is a good time to enroll her in this curriculum? She I truly wait until she is the age of 3 or are there some sort of signs to look out for to know that she is truly ready to start this program?
    AS-SALAAM ALAIKUM

IN THE NAME OF ALLAH, THE BENEFICENT, THE MERCIFUL. I BEAR WITNESS THAT THERE IS NO GOD BUT ALLAH AND I BEAR WITNESS THAT MUHAMMAD IS HIS MESSENGER.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Until third grade, the focus is on learning to read (and some basic math concepts). Schools often present science or social studies once a week or as a one-time unit lasting a few weeks. This is also true of homeschool curricula such as A Beka (three months of science and social studies during the school year) and Rod and Staff (science and social studies once a week beginning six weeks into the school year). It is common for these two subjects to be "graded" as "complete" or "incomplete" at this level, since the child is being provided with a gentle introduction instead of a full "study".

For more information, view the Typical Course of Study provided by World Book. Realize that every school will be somewhat different.

Whether to promote or not is at your discretion. Grade three science and social studies are text-based, less animated, and much more challenging than grades one and two. To view a sample, look at the Lesson Plans. Input one of the Learning Activity Numbers as explained here. If you decide you want him to advance to the third grade level, log in as a parent and click on Adjust My Child's Educational Level or click on Change Educational Level at the top of most pages on the Time4Learning site. Changing his level in science will not affect his other subjects.

Many parents who are not comfortable being "finished" with science and social studies for the year supplement with things like http://www.brainpopjr.com (paid site) or the science theme worksheets available at Learning Page (free).

As for your daughter, you might want to try a couple of demo lessons from the preschool program with her. They are available here. Match-a-Moo and Shape Match are both from the preschool program. If you do start her early, there is nothing wrong with doing preschool at age two, and again at ages three and even four if she isn't yet ready for kindergarten. Very young children benefit from the kind of repetition that would bore us older folks to tears!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

LaurieK is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default starting prek

I am getting the handheld Leapster for my 3 little ones, twin 2 year olds and prek 4 yr old. I am trying to have something fun and interactive for them while brother is working. I never thought I would be doing this so young as I've been one to slowly let my older son get into the electronics but they are constantly fussing when he's on the computer or using his gameboy. Also, my prek 4 daughter has recently been allowed on the computer and she's been a bit of a handfull about it. Be careful what you start. She gets the kitchen timer set for 30 minutes and has her turn.

I'll post after the holidays if my "idea" worked out.

Let us know how you decided for your daughter as well.

Take care,
    Lauriek

2CowboysMom is offline Junior Member Newbie

I'm also getting my little boys a hand held leapster for Christmas, hes 5.. and i also bought some games for my older son to play on it when he "borrows" it..
    just wanted to let you know that the pen on the leapster has been known to break easily, But don't just toss it out, and call it ruined.. if u call the company , they will have you send it back and they will send you a new one. Let me know how your kids end up liking it.. Also in response to SISTAQUEEN whos little one is starting preschool.. My opinion is save the 15 bucks (sorry T4L) because there are so so so so many FREE preschool games on the web.. and there attention is held so briefly it would take you Years to go threw them all before your little one got bored of them.. i like T4l for my kids since there older and i want to track there progress.. But with preschool kids theres just so much free stuff out there..anyway Just my opinion

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the tip about the Leapster pen. It's so nice when members post tips like that to help each other out!

My daughter likes the little books that are read aloud to her online during Time4Learning's preschool program. She listens to them over and over again. And, of course, Ed Mouse's presence makes her feel like she's doing "real" school, since she knows he pops up during her siblings' lessons.

There are some great free sites for preschool games, though. Try http://www.funschool.com , http://www.learninggamesforkids.com/ , and http://www.starfall.com for starters.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!