Quizes, Tests, Completed & Mastered
    heart-of-joy is offline Junior Member

Default Quizes, Tests, Completed & Mastered

Hi All!

We are newbies at T4L and my son is loving it! We started mid-November after a different curriculum just didn't fit us. Periodically, I check his backpack and record his grades in a gradebook. I noticed today that he has no Quiz or Test grades in any of his subjects. And none of his assignments are marked Mastered but all are Completed.

Here is where we are today in each subject:
    7th Grade Math - Chapter 4 - Ratios & Rates
    7th Grade Language Arts - Chapter 3 - Plot, Character and Setting
    7th Grade LA Extensions - Chapter 3 - Mail Idea and Supporting Details

Can you tell me if I have missed something?

I appreciate the help!
    Blessings from the other side of the world,
    Renee

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Renee,

I will try to get your question to the best place on the forum so you can get some answers. This section just deals with supplements to lessons.
    Last edited by jpenn; 01-04-2011 at 09:34 PM.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by jpenn View Post
    Hi Renee,

I will try to get your question to the best place on the forum so you can get some answers. This section just deals with supplements to lessons.

Thanks a bunch!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Renee. Time4Learning provides lessons in a variety of formats. I love it, because my kids have quickly become bored with programs with lessons formatted the same way throughout. It is sometimes difficult to get used to all of the different lesson types, though.

The older lessons had test and quiz icons at the bottom of the screen. These are the tests and quizzes marked by icons and counted in the lesson plans.

Seventh grade core language and math are newer formats. Assessments (tests/quizzes) for the core language program and the math program are built into the program. You can identify which lesson activities are assessments (which they call "quizzes" and "challenge quizzes") by looking at their TITLES in the lesson plans.

Since the update to new lessons, the way we count quizzes and tests will need to be changed.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy View Post
    Since the update to new lessons, the way we count quizzes and tests will need to be changed.

I don't think I understand. Do I need to change the way quizzes and tests are recorded?

So, if I do a weighted grading system, do I count Challenge Quizzes & Assessments as tests? And quizzes as quizzes? Then the Let Me Practice would be daily grades?

I agree, my son loves T4L and the format. Since we are new, we can't compare it but compared to what we were doing he is much, much happier! (which makes me happier)

Thanks again for your reply! I truly appreciate your time.

Blessings from the other side of the world,
    Renee

Quote Originally Posted by heart-of-joy View Post
    Hi All!

And none of his assignments are marked Mastered but all are Completed.
    Oh, one more thing. We don't have any "Mastered" icons. All of ds's say "Complete". Is this right?

Thanks again!

Just bumping this message up to see if I get a response.

Thank you for your time!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Yes, that would be a reasonable translation of test/quiz vocabulary if you are doing your own weighted grading system.

I'm not sure about the criteria for mastery of these newer lessons. Let me check and get back to you a little later today. Do understand that the icons are mainly for student incentive. Parents should refer to their student's records (which are now available through the parent login).

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thanks Kelly! I appreciate your help. I will change the way I weight the grades unless I hear differently from you.

Love the new feature, by the way, of logging into my ds's grades.

Thanks again!

RC