Re-take Test?

Thread: Re-take Test?

Moo&Pup is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re-take Test?

I am new to homeschooling and T4L and curious about testing...My kids have both not passed some of their quizzes. Should I have them review the chapter and then can they re-take the quiz? I want them to be understanding the material and also doing well when it comes time to know the answers on a quiz. Thank you in advance for your help! I am trying to get the hang of all of tis!

DannieMorris is offline Junior Member Newbie

I have my son re-take quizzes and tests if he fails them. Sometimes he doesn't do well because he's bored and just blows right through, other times he reads the questions incorrectly or isn't paying attention to the wording.

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moo&Pup View Post
    I am new to homeschooling and T4L and curious about testing...My kids have both not passed some of their quizzes. Should I have them review the chapter and then can they re-take the quiz? I want them to be understanding the material and also doing well when it comes time to know the answers on a quiz. Thank you in advance for your help! I am trying to get the hang of all of tis!
    For the reason bolded, my vote would be to have them review and retake. However, be aware that retaking a quiz does not eliminate any previous score. The old score and the new score will both be included in the student's average quiz score.

HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Here's another point of view, from a mom who thinks she's pretty smart but would NEVER be able to pass those science and social studies tests herself.

So often, kids waste time "learning" something just long enough to "pass the test". They promptly forget it all in the weeks to follow. (I'm primarily talking about science and social studies. Basic reading, math, and writing skills need to be mastered and are continually practiced in our daily life, so the skills are usually maintained.) Go ahead and try some of those tests yourself, and then ask if you've been handicapped by not having all that stuff memorized.

I let my kids take notes (a valuable skill) during the science and social studies lessons and use them during the tests. With textbooks, I let them do the tests "open book", so the test actually functions as an additional learning opportunity. My goal is to "acquaint" them with a lot of science and social studies concepts, and to make sure they know where and how to find further information when they need to do it.

Besides, any curriculum you use will have its own ideas about what things to teach for science and social studies. Who's to say exactly what needs to be memorized?

Oddly enough, with this attitude, my kids have always done really well on the science and social studies portion of their standardized test. (Let's not talk about their math scores. )

Just some additional food for thought.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!