Reading struggles
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    cindy4hope is offline Senior Member

Default Reading struggles

Hi, I have posted in other forums about my daughter struggles with reading. She is 8 years old and does struggle with all the reading with are having to do in science and s.s. here on time4learning. I've had to read alot of it to her to make sure she is understanding it. Do any of you have young ones that struggle with reading, and if you do could you give me some pointers on things I can do to make her a stronger reader so that she can do her work more independently. I spend most of my time teaching her at the same table so if she has any questions I can help her otherwise she doesn't get it done.

There isn't much animation in the third grade level so most of it is independent reading. Just feeling a little overwhelmed this morning.

Stressed out Mom,

Cindy

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Reading struggles

One of my daughters had to work so hard to read what was on the page that she couldn't understand what she was reading. (This was in the second and third grades.) I started sharing reading with her. She would read one page and I would read the next. That way, she was able to practice reading but could "catch up" with the storyline on every other page, when it was my turn to read aloud.

Time4Learning wasn't around back then. (That daughter graduated high school this year.) You might try putting something like that into practice with T4L's social studies and science lessons, though.

Most of my kids have been strong readers from the time they were three or four. Not this daughter! She needed lots and lots of practice. I listened to her read aloud almost every day until well into her teens. There's hope! She just took her college entrance exams and did very well on the reading portion.

I know we're sometimes looking for a quick fix. *sigh* My kids that could work more independently were sooo much easier to teach.

If she is getting discouraged with the amount of reading she needs to do in Time4Learning's science and social studies, try to find a typical third grade science or social studies textbook to show her. Now, THAT'S a lot of reading!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

I like Kelly's idea about reading in portions. I would even have her read the topic sentence in each paragraph aloud, then read the rest of it to her. There is absolutely no shame in having difficulty reading! Remind her that she is learning to read one of the hardest languages out there and that she must be very smart to even be trying it. If you don't already, take as many opportunities to read as you can, not just texts, but storybooks (find out what level she's reading comfortably at so you can provide her with the right stuff), grocery lists, recipies, road signs, subtitles on the television, etc. If she watches tv, I would even let her watch reading programs, such as Between the Lions, Super Why, and Wrod Girl (all on PBS). If she needs more help with the nuts and bolts, try http://www.starfall.com . It's a completely free program that is similar to Hooke on Phonics. We have not specifically used the SF program to teach reading, but every teacher my girls ever had in PS recommended it and my HS son enjoys it as well.

If none of that works or you're just way too overwhelmed with the reading in Science and SS, you might set those T4L sections aside and use another curriculum. I also like the Christian Kids science (each lesson is very short and includes hands-on activities) (buy at Timberdoodle: http://www.timberdoodle.com/Christia..._p/088-088.htm ) and if you like the idea of unit studies, you can find a variety of kits at http://www.handsofachild.com . I like their system because it can be downloaded directly to your computer and printed out on whatever papers you want. There is just as much cutting and pasting as writing and there is much more listening than reading. We also like the Evan Moor spelling lessons that incorporate a bit of science and social studies into their word lists. If you like that idea but don't want to do spelling, you can check out http://www.Edhelper.com . There are dozens of short readers about almost anything you would want. [It's $20/year.] When she's feeling more confident, she can return to the T4L at the 3rd level (not "grade" ). I have also found that the girls are much more interested in learning about something on T4L when they have been exposed to it before, so you might use some of those resources to introduce her to the topics on the 3rd grade science and ss on T4L.
    Melissa.

Thank you for all of you that responded We will continue to work very hard to gain ground this year while she is still young. We are going to go to the library this week to check out ar books on her grade level. Hopefully this will give her more motivation to read. Another question I have, do all of you do every subject everyday? Not to overwhelm Lexie I have been doing Reading, Math, Lang, Devotions, Handwriting, and either we choose Science or Social Studies we don't do both on the same day.

This all takes a good 4 hours everyday. On Fridays we work half a day, taking spelling test and catching up on work she may have needed more help with. How about you guys what's your schedules like? I want to thank you so much for responding to my concerns, it's greatly appreciated. Since my brain surgery I become overwhelmed easily myself so it sure has helped me to have you all as my back up supporters .

God BLess,

Cindy

mom2five is offline Junior Member Newbie

Cindy, my son is in 3rd grade and struggles with reading too. Public School kind of left him behind...we found out he needed glasses to read, late in the 2nd grade. I've put him in the T4L 2nd grade Language Arts to help him catch up. We do several lessons so we can get the 3rd grade lessons in before the end of the school year. This seems to be helping so far.

I don't see the harm in dropping levels in Science and Social Studies either. We have done that for him too.

Just some suggestions from a home school beginner.

Our schedule is similar to yours - at least for my 8 year old:

T4L Language Arts and Math, Reading - including Scriptures, Writing (journal), Spelling (from SpellingCity.com) every day.
    Either Science or Social Studies from T4L, but not both on the same day...and only twice a week. (we will do more later)
    Karate 2x week and Cub Scouts 1x week
    I'm going to incorporate some music and extra classes through our coop once a month as well.

Like I said, I'm a beginner. I hope I'm doing enough...and also not too much.

Thanks Brenda, I never thought about dropping a grade in Social Studies, that's certainly a good thought. We finished all the second grade science last year so I guess that we won't be dropping a level in that. Yes she was getting left behind in reading at ps so I knew I had to take control

I'm glad to hear someone else say that they don't do every subject everyday. Like I said I do the Math, Reading, Lang, writing/journaling, spelling and devotions everyday. and choose either science or social studies to do for the day and then the next day we switch. But I guess like you said just maybe choosing one a week would be good for right now, so not to overwhelm her with so much reading. She also takes piano lessons so we do have a full curriculum. It's just trying to get it all done in a day that's sometimes hard .

Blessings,

Cindy

Blog Entries

Cindy, before third grade, Time4Learning's social studies is supplemental (not a full curriculum). It is composed of thirteen really fun animated lessons, along with some tests and quizzes. When we first started T4L, I had my third grader go through those lessons twice: once at the beginning of the year and once at the end. I had forgotten about that!

Try Brainpop or Brainpop Jr. for science and social studies, too.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

mom2five is offline Junior Member Newbie

Cindy ~ My sister teaches piano and told me it's a whole language of it's own. I was told to wait until the reading is up to speed first. If she's doing well in piano, you don't need to worry about it, but it may be something to consider if she's struggling in both piano and reading...to delay the piano for a bit.

Brenda, the one thing she really loves is learning to play the piano and she is doing well. So with that maybe everything else will just click when she finds something that she loves.

Kelly is the third grade science and social studies consider a full curriculum? We are going to study the rain forest and then go to a Museum that has a rain forest ex going on. So I guess you don't have to go strickly by the book in everything subject .

Cindy

Blog Entries

Third grade science and social studies are "complete", although I always hesitate to call anything having to do with education "complete", since there's always something you can do to personalize it. Like you, we add extras and skim over some things. No, you don't have to go strictly by the book! Your rain forest study sounds great!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast