reading work

Thread: reading work

InItTogether is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default reading work

My son has a difficult time with reading. He is in 3rd grade and can do the work for that level if someone reads the questions for him. Is this OK or should I let him do it on his own? He has been getting 67s on most work but when I read it for him he was getting 100's. I don't want him to loose ground in case he has to go back to public school at some point. How do I handle this. Thanks.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

This is my opinion only, not professional advice. If the only thing keeping your son from proceeding is his reading/comprehension, then I would read the lessons to him. It's expecting a lot to ask a chid to do two "hard" things at once: comprehend what he is reading AND understand the science or social studies concept being presented.

Of course, you will want to provide reading comprehension practice, also . . . just not combined with his other subjects.

Do you know about Peedy the Parrot, who will read text to your student? Click here to find out more.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

InItTogether is offline Junior Member Newbie

I haven't been successful with the parrot thing. He doesn't seem to talk for me. Not sure why. Thanks though. I appreciate the advice.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Are you interested in Peedy? If so, we can troubleshoot your difficulty with him. What browser do you use?

Peedy's "robot" voice is sometimes difficult for children who can't read at all to understand. He seems to be especially good for children who can read well enough to follow along with their own eyes while Peedy reads aloud. This gives the child practice reading, but doesn't leave him floundering on his own. It's similar to the classroom technique of calling on several children to read aloud, while the rest of the class follows along in their own books.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

kjudim is offline Junior Member

My 3rd grader was having reading issues earlier in the year. We stepped back and went through the 2nd grade LA curriculum. It took about 6 weeks but it really helped. The 2nd grade LA has great fluency activities. I found that my daughter was just not a very confident reader. I still read science and social studies to her (and my 5th grader) because I think they get more out of it when we do it together. they do math and LA alone now with very few problems.