Record Keeping

Thread: Record Keeping

mcdhs is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Record Keeping

Hi,

We have been using T4L for awhile now and love it!!

Sometimes we go in and do a test to see if the subject is mastered and ultimately that grade gets averaged into the total GPA, which makes the GPA low. For instance, if there is a quiz with a bad grade, I make my daughter redo it. That bad grade is still factored in.

So, I like to just throw out the bad grades, isn't that one of the great things about homeschooling . Anyway, I was wondering how others of you use this. Do you use a seperate record keeping program such as HS Tracker. Also, we do a seperate spelling curriculum. So basically, I was wondering what everyone does for record keeping.

Thanks.

shmoomama is offline Junior Member Newbie

I am also curious as to what other eclectic homeschoolers do, from a record keeping perspective, to assimlate this program into an already existing system.

Right now, some subjects are graded traditionally, and some are on a 4 point scale - all weighted with tests accounting for a greater percentage of the grade in subjects like math, other factors wieghted for other subjects. I have a little gradebook I printed for myself and keep everything in there- exams in red, tests/major projects in green, and assignments in black ink. We have not had a retest issue with T4L, but in other situations I have used the average of the test and retest as the final test grade.

LA
    LA is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: Record Keeping

Hello,

You sound so organized - that is a good thing.

I use HST+ (Homeschool Tracker Plus) and record everything the kids do in T4L whether it is graded or not. We also do things outside of T4L that I want to include in their grades - HST+ is great for this. HST is getting ready to put out a major update in the next month or two - should be even more user friendly.

When we first started T4L, the kids would fly through their lessons and fail their quizzes repeatedly. When I told them they would be copying the entire lesson by hand if they continued to fail quizzes/tests, they slowed down and are doing much better. For the grades at the beginning, I am only averaging the highest 2. Now that they are doing better everything is averaged together. The way I see it, one of the reasons we homeschool is to be able to help our kids when they are doing poorly, not to demoralize them be giving them below average or failing grades. If they are just goofing off and not trying, that is another matter.

Just my opinion,

Linda

Quote Originally Posted by mcdhs
    Hi,

We have been using T4L for awhile now and love it!!

Sometimes we go in and do a test to see if the subject is mastered and ultimately that grade gets averaged into the total GPA, which makes the GPA low. For instance, if there is a quiz with a bad grade, I make my daughter redo it. That bad grade is still factored in.

So, I like to just throw out the bad grades, isn't that one of the great things about homeschooling . Anyway, I was wondering how others of you use this. Do you use a seperate record keeping program such as HS Tracker. Also, we do a seperate spelling curriculum. So basically, I was wondering what everyone does for record keeping.

Thanks.

Robin is offline Senior Member

How are you using HST with it? Are you just recording the lessons once complete? I've been using HST for years while homeschooling, but haven't used it with Time4Learning yet.

Jenellen is offline Junior Member Newbie

Is anyone using any homeschool tracker plus-"like" software on their Mac? I would love some info about a program that does what HST does but is created for a Mac platform as well...

thanks so much!

Jenellen

LA

Sorry, I didn't see this post sooner - wasn't ignoring you.

I do input every assignment, resource, quiz, test - whatever it may be. Then print out an assignment sheet for the day for each of the kids. When they are finished, I mark the items "complete" and input the grade for items that were graded.

Hope this helps,

Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Robin
    How are you using HST with it? Are you just recording the lessons once complete? I've been using HST for years while homeschooling, but haven't used it with Time4Learning yet.

LA

HST+ does work on Mac. If you have time, they have a discussion group (message board) where you can search for information about this or ask questions. http://www.homeschooltracker.com/discuss.aspx

Some Mac users were having touble with the drop down menus for HST website when using Safari. From what I've read, Foxfire is more compatible.

As far as grading software goes, HST+ is beyond compare in price, features, and customer service.

Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Jenellen
    Is anyone using any homeschool tracker plus-"like" software on their Mac? I would love some info about a program that does what HST does but is created for a Mac platform as well...

thanks so much!

Jenellen

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I am SO excited to hear it is MAC friendly!!! Off to check it out. Thank YOU!
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/