Slightly confused
    InItTogether is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Slightly confused

Hi,
    I am new to this program and love it but am a little confused. I am trying to figure out exactly what to do in a day. What does a "lesson" entale. My son is in 3rd grade and I had him click on LA then he picked Animal ILA. Then he did the 3 parts of that. But it took him 50 minutes. Is this a normal amount of time to take for this? I wanted to do 2 LA and 1 math at least and not sure if I could do it and our other stuff together. Are we taking too long or is this considered 3 lessons. If it's 3 lessons how do you get all the work done in a year? Thanks for your help.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi. Welcome to you and your son!

Are you letting hiim do the lessons in any order that he chooses? That's fine, if you've decided that will work best for your son. The program is designed with a flashing arrow that points your student to each lesson activity in sequence, though, and most people like to start using it that way. Here is the information from the bottom of the login page:

To start, login as a child and you’ll see a series of subjects to pick. You pick what subject to start with and click on that icon (many parents do one language arts and one math exercise every day). Then you’ll see chapter icons . The blinking yellow arrow will show you which folder and lesson to start with. After completing a learning activity, the arrow will advance pointing you towards the next one.

Be sure to read the Hints, too. They're great for helping you get started!

Your son did three lesson activities. At the third grade level, there are 144 lesson activities in core language arts. If he proceeded at this pace, he would finish the language arts program in just 42 days. A typical school year contains 180 days. He would need to do less than one lesson activity per day to finish in a year.

The language arts extensions are to round out and personalize his language program. They can be used for extra practice with concepts he is struggling with, as enrichment activities in areas of special interest to you and your student, or as extra work for a student who isn't challenged enough. Some parents assign all of the language arts extensions. Some don't use the extensions at all. Most pick and choose.

Even if you choose to have your son do all of the core language lesson activities AND all of the language arts extensions, he needs to do fewer than two per day to finish in 180 days. (There are 262 activities, or 1-2 per day.)

Have you seen the Lesson Plans?

It does take some time to get used to any new curriculum. Feel free to ask any more questions.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

InItTogether is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you for the help. So for instance he would be working on homophones for a few days then. So how long are the kids on the computer for the day? What is the average? Thank you again.