So, how do I fit in?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Momma Crystal is offline Senior Member

Default So, how do I fit in?

Hello everyone!
    I just thought I'd put up a post and test the waters so speak. I am a Mom to two boys with a daughter on the way this spring. We made the decision to homeschool when my oldest was just a year old. I happen to be a former public school teacher and I still work part-time as a consultant for the local school district. I oversee a family resource center that operates in 8 elementary schools as well a million other tasks. (Yep, its just part-time HAHA!)

Anyway. Tomorrow my family and I are having a celebration! My oldest son will finish up the K portion of T4L. So we're going to have a bit of a party. In all honesty, he could have finished K ages ago! But I've taken a very relaxed approach to his homeschooling. He is excited to be moving ahead.

I tried a few other curricula, and forums, before we found T4L. Nothing ever fit just right, and when I went to the boards for help with anything (particularly trying to place my child at the right level) I was met with hostility. I'm wondering if I'll find that here.

You see my son only celebrated his 4th birthday about 5 weeks ago. My 2nd son just turned two 2 months ago and he is whipping through the preK program.

So... my question is... how will I be received. Will you all decide I'm "hothousing" my children and forcing school and academia down their throats? Or will you accept me at face value when I tell you I have placed my children appropriately and they are LOVING and their school work (BEGGING for it on Christmas day for goodness sakes) and they are thriving in a rich environment with HOURS of playtime and outdoor exploration.

A little background on me. I have a degrees in psych with a concentration in children in youth, Early Childhood Education, and Special Education. I taught regular and special ed preschool and kindergarten for YEARS in both public and private settings. My philosophy is completely centered on play as being the single most important aspect of a young child's life. Oh, and my husband wrote his dissertation on the social effects of computers on young children.

I read here a lot... but barely post because that hasn't gone well for me elsewhere. I feel isolated. We aren't eligible for homeschool groups because my children aren't of "school age" yet.

So anyway, I could go on.

Happy New Year everyone!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: So, how do I fit in?

Hi, and welcome! Thanks for introducing yourself and your children.

A basic premise of homeschooling is that parents know their children best! It sounds like you're confident that you have placed your children at an appropriate level for them, and I doubt you'll find any criticism here.

I can share, as the mom of several children who seemed quite "advanced" at a young age that it sometimes levels out in the end. Once they are older, early bloomers are often difficult to distinguish from children who took a little longer to get there, so don't feel there's something wrong if the trend doesn't continue. Some of my kids read at age three and one didn't read until she was eight. Yes, the early readers are still bright, but their abilities aren't as remarkable as they were during the preschool years.

You seem to be in tune with your children's needs! I'm looking forward to hearing more from you . . . especially interested in knowing when that new baby arrives!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

denimay is offline Senior Member

Crystal...you are soooo WELCOME here!! I agree with Kelly that you are the best judge of what your children need and how they best learn. Please post here as there are many of us (LIKE ME!!) who could benefit from your areas of expertise. I think that those 'hot right out of the box' kids are just as challenging as kids who need more time than PS allows to learn the basics. I think that the trend in PS over the last decade has been to push kids too hard, too fast, too soon and that this has had an increasingly devastating effect on many children. At the same time, bright, ready children have been frustrated by being boxed into the NCLB reduced and restricted cookie-cutter curriculum.
    You obviously know what's best for your kids and no one should try to tell you differently. There are other parents on this list who have firecracker kids like yours....you are not alone....please participate a much as you like.....nobody gets voted off the island here.........deni........
    deni may ............
    artist and teacher

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

http://www.currclick.com/?affiliate_id=15313

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

I think you will fit in as well as you choose to. Whether children are ahead or behind, average or special needs, there is a place here for everyone. I am possibly a parent opposite from you, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't appreciate and like you. I kept my children from doing too much too soon because I didn't want to be one of those parents whom other people perceive as pushing my children to be little robots I could live vicariously through. However, with my youngest, that failed miserably. He just went ahead and started teaching himself the things I didn't want to expose him to so young. So if teaching your kids things at an early age is what you want to do, go for it. I don't think anyone will judge you here. And that's just coming from me, an uneducated accidental homeschooling public schooling parent.
    Melissa.

Lisa's7 is offline Member

Hey if you're happy and they're happy no hostility from me. I've got kids all over the place from very advanced to struggling.

adria2328 is offline Senior Member

Welcome Crystal! No criticism from me. Hopefully you'll be able to help some of us along. I am still new to this (as of 11/08) and change things weekly in our home. Well sometimes it feels like that! lol Welcome aboard!
    Adria
    Mommy of 4
    Bryanna 13
    Ralphy 7
    Coleman 5
    GraceAnn 3

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Crystal,

WELCOME! I loved reading your post. Your heart for your children is precious. I agree with everyone else. I say allow your child to go for it until they're ready to slow down. That's the great thing about homeschooling, we can personalize their education to meet their personal needs. As a mom with children who have special needs I loved that I've been allowed to go slowly while they master their basics, but speed it up once they learn them.
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Cally is offline Member

Welcome Crystal!
    I'm glad you found us!
    Cally

Momma Crystal is offline Senior Member

Well thanks everyone! I do feel better. Slowing my older son down is HARD! Trust me, I do try! I try to keep T4L down to just 3 or so days a week. If he had his way it'd be any EVERY day thing! Oye! But I believe more in going with my child's lead than running my own agenda so we do what he wants as he wants to. Of course, a trip to the science museum trumps any T4L! So sometimes I try to distract him like that.

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Momma Crystal
    Well thanks everyone! I do feel better. Slowing my older son down is HARD! Trust me, I do try! I try to keep T4L down to just 3 or so days a week. If he had his way it'd be any EVERY day thing! Oye! But I believe more in going with my child's lead than running my own agenda so we do what he wants as he wants to. Of course, a trip to the science museum trumps any T4L! So sometimes I try to distract him like that.
    I am SO glad you're feeling good about your decision. You are doing such a GREAT job.
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast