Spanish?

Thread: Spanish?

Liv's and Char's Mom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Spanish?

I am searching for a foreign language curriculum (Spanish)...anyone have suggestions for one that would provide both verbal (conversational) and written skills? We will use it for our 8th grader!

Liz E is offline Member

My kids are little so I get them DVDs from the library, but my husband and I have been playing around with byki.com It is pretty good for a free one and it has flash cards and a part where you need to write the actual spanish.

littletfarms is offline Member

A little background on myself - I have a BA in Spanish. I have taught HS Spanish and I am currently teaching an online class through the virtual homeschool group (VHSG). I have a really hard time getting happy with any "teach yourself at home" type foreign language. Rosetta Stone will provide auditory. But lacks adequate written for what you are looking for. I lean towards Switched on Schoolhouse as the lessor of evils. The elementary level has Power Glide, Jr. content. The secondary level has Power Glide content. The Spanish I is AOP Lifepac content. It has a better combination, IMO, of auditory and written.

That said, none of them provide true conversation. Conversation involves having to immediately respond and knowing whether or not the person you are conversing with understands. It's fluid and cannot be programmed.

Any of the above can provide a way to put Spanish on a transcript. But, if you want your child to learn Spanish, you will HAVE to find native speakers. Go on mission trips to Mexico. Befriend people at Mexican restaurants. Find a Spanish speaking congregation and attend their classes. Most native speakers will be thrilled that you want to learn their language. And you'll have fun, too
    Denise in MS
    Homeschooling 4 blessings for 14 years.
    DD93, DS95, DS98, DD00

Let me add one more thing. For the VHSG we are using the Destinos curriculum. I chose it because there are free videos online. It gives you native speakers to listen to and a storyline to follow as you learn more. Here is the video series: Resource: Destinos: An Introduction to Spanish You can pick up the book used at Amazon or elsewhere. I don't think it really matters what edition you end up with. But, I would be sure to get the workbook, too.

If you decide you want to try it, I'll see if I can get you added to my class. It would be too late to actually participate. But, you could have access to the audio files that are used in the workbook.

You still need to find those native speakers :-D But, it is another curriculum choice.
    Denise in MS
    DD93, DS95, DS98, DD00

Dinomom13 is offline Junior Member

My daughter and I are getting ready to start Rosetta Stone Spanish. There are quite a few Hispanic families in our apartment complex, and she wants to be able to converse with them. I guess that's a good thing, since you say being around native speakers is necessary? There's also a large Hispanic population in our area in general.

Wonderful! While Rosetta Stone can help, it's your hispanic neighbors and friends that can actually make her fluent (and you, too!). Like I mentioned earlier. Most are very pleased to help teach people their language. We have several hispanics that come to our farm to buy pollos (chickens). It's mutually beneficial. I get to use my Spanish and I teach them some English.
    Denise in MS
    DD93, DS95, DS98, DD00