Spelling help
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spelling help

Kess is offline Member

Default Spelling help

My daughter is currently doing 7th Grade T4L and is doing very well in all subjects so far. However, she has always struggled with spelling. She is grades behind where she should be. Memorizing a list of spelling words has never worked for her. If I read it correctly, it looks like 4th Grade Language Arts Extensions teaches spelling patterns and rules. I would like to go over these lessons with her just for her spelling. Is there a way I can access the 4th Grade Lang Arts Ext without changing her regular 7th Grade Language Arts?

Kess

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Spelling help

not sure if you can access two grades that far apart or not, i'm sure kelly or mary will be able to field that one for you. however, you'll find most of us on here use www.spellingcity.com ... it has suggested spelling lists for you child or you can custom build your own. there's no reason why you couldn't use the suggested lists and start her in 4th grade (or even 2nd or 3rd for that matter). if she's self-conscious about spelling "baby" words, tell her that you know with all of the other hard work she does, you thought it might be fun to start with something easy.
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

You should be able to find the fourth grade lesson activity numbers in the lesson plans and input them into your daughter's activity finder to get at the lessons. If you can't do this, let me know and your account can be set to give you access.

The spelling lessons are organized a bit differently than the other lessons. They are similar to the text-based science and social studies lessons, but the student does only one or two "pages" of an activity per day. If you page through one of the lessons, you will see what I mean. The spelling test for the week is on the final page, although will be a pre-test on the first page or two.

SpellingCity is a terrific place for extra practice. I have input all of the fourth grade spelling words at SpellingCity, so it's easy to use my lists for practice. To find the fourth grade lists over there, click on "Find a List", select "Search by Parent" and input "Kelly Stone". All of my T4L lists are preceded by the word "Time4Learning".

I like to have my kids take their final weekly test at SpellingCity, because they can print a report that has the words they spelled correctly and the words they spelled incorrectly on it. SpellingCity is free, but they now have a new function where they will keep track of your student's test scores online for you. It's something like twenty dollars per year if you want that optional function.

If your daughter needs more difficult words, there are spelling lessons in the fifth and sixth grade language arts extensions, too.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Cathy is offline Senior Member

we love bigtimespelling. Although it is now called BigIQkids since they added states and vocabulary to their math & spelling.
    Anyway, each day they have a different way of learning their spelling words. My kids like it as far as spelling goes. SO far it's been their favorite.

mamasaba is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy
    we love bigtimespelling. Although it is now called BigIQkids since they added states and vocabulary to their math & spelling.
    Anyway, each day they have a different way of learning their spelling words. My kids like it as far as spelling goes. SO far it's been their favorite.
    This is a really nice program

Kess is offline Member

Thanks for the suggestions I will take a look at SpellingCity and Big time spelling. The only problem is that my daughter always scored 100 on her spelling tests because she would study really hard, but the very next day she would use those same words in a writing assignment and spell all of them incorrectly. She can’t seem to memorize things long term. She has difficulty with her math facts as well. Anything sort of random, like a list of words or numbers, she does not do well with, but things that make sense to her she has no problem remembering. So instead of a list of spelling words I was looking for something that would teach spelling patterns, spelling rules, etc to help her “figure out” how to spell new words.

Kelly, I was able to enter the activity number into the activity finder and get the 4th Grade lesson that way. I will take a look at those lessons and see if these will work for me, as well as check out the sites mentioned. Thank you.

Kess

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Spelling Power! The book is about fifty dollars, and it's THICK, but it's the only spelling curriculum you need for grades three through twelve.

Each list begins with "the rule", which the student writes at the top of his paper. The student only studies words he doesn't know how to spell and doesn't drop a word until he knows how to spell it. The word pops up later in the program until the student has spelled it properly four times, several weeks or months apart.

The book suggests lots of ways to practice the words, such as drawing on the sidewalk with chalk, drawing them on a siblings' back, forming them from magnetic tiles, writing them in shaving cream, etc., but it says you can use any method of practice that works, and the more variety, the better. You could use SpellingCity as a high-tech way to practice the words.

The format is a little different than most programs. You give your student a placement test to determine where to start in the book and then just proceed through all the lists, as quickly or as slowly as she can learn them. You give her a spelling test for five minutes each day.

We did it for about three years. With several kids, even five minutes every single day was difficult to stick with, so we eventually dropped it.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

aandwsmom is offline Senior Member

Oldest DS is in 7th grade but a HORRID speller.
    I printed off 4th grade spelling codes and he inputs 1 per week over on the side in the activity finder section on his main page. It takes him directly there.
    Then I went to spellingcity.com and put BOTH the boys words there under their names and by Week _ that corresponds with the same week # in their lesson plans.
    So far, they are both doing great! Oldest DS is spelling better!!! We will move up to 5th grade next year when he is in 8th grade.

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

that's so awesome kat!
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

Kess is offline Member

Thank you all so much for the great suggestions. I really love this board, everyone is so helpful! I looked up the Spelling Power book and it looks like that might be exactly what I need. I’m planning on ordering it. In the meantime, I’ll start by trying the 4th grade spelling here, along with SpellingCity.

Kess

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast