Spelling and new
    tamaraf is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Spelling and new

Hello to all,

We are new here. I am using T4L with my 10 year old and he is loving it.

I have 4 children, 3 boys ages 12,10, and 7 and my little girl age 5. Eventually all will be using this program but for now just my 4th grader. We have been homeschooling for 3 years.

I have a question about the spelling and the pretest. Am I suppose to have him write the words or are there worksheets for them? He is asked to spell a word he doesn't know which is fine but how do I get him to learn them? Are there activities I am not seeing? Or do I do the traditional write them down three times each and so forth? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Tamaraf

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I'm looking at the first spelling unit for fourth grade. The second page is a pretest, where your child can hear the word pronounced and is provided a place to type it. This gives an idea of which words he already knows and which he will need to study.

The third page allows the student to practice the words by typing them in alphabetical order.

The fourth and fifth pages explain synonyms and dictionary skills, and instruct the student to look up the spelling words in the dictionary and write them down. He will use his own paper for this activity.

The sixth page is a word puzzle for further practice in identifying the spelling words.

The seventh page allows him to make his own word game with his spelling words. The eighth page allows him to use his spelling words in sentences, and the final page is his spelling test.

Some parents are reluctant to click through an activity to preview them but, as long as you do not click on the "hand" icon on the final screen, the lesson will not be marked as complete.

Following every three spelling units is an additional quiz that tests the student on a sampling of words from all three units. This is a great review.

If this did not address your concerns or you would like me to look at a specific lesson for you, please let me know.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

tamaraf is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default thank you

I guess he went through them so fast I was unable to see the other pages. I kept seeing the first and last it sounds like. I will go and check it out first from now on.
    Thanks so much.
    TamaraF

sandra is offline Junior Member

Default Spelling

hi,
    I think some has mentioned this in the past, but check out Spellingtime.com, they have preset spelling lists in a game format, 'I use it in conjunction with T4L
    -Sandra
    Mom and Teacher to
    Reyna
    Ryan
    Mason
    Karissa