spelling units

Thread: spelling units

mamalovejoy is offline Junior Member

Default spelling units

Can anyone tell me if the "rules of spelling" units actually cover the rules of spelling? I only previewed one portion of one of the 4th grade units, but it didn't have any kind of tutorial on the rules of spelling, it simply asked me to spell several words.

Can anyone answer this question for me? I have two children who are good spellers and don't need spelling instruction, but one of my students might find knowing the rules of spelling helpful. Please let me know as I prefer not to cover lessons my kids don't need.

Thanks!
    Vanessa

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I think you were probably expecting the typical spelling units, where every word on the list applies to a certain spelling rule. For example, the student might be studying the "i before e, except after c" rule, and the words on his list would all be either e/i or i/e words.

Instead, Time4Learning spelling lists are composed of the most necessary words for students to master at each grade level. The "rules" are taught in the course of studying the words on the list. For example, in the second unit, the student reads:

If a noun ends with a y that is preceded by a consonant, make it plural by changing the y to i and adding es.

Examples:
    lady—ladies baby—babies family—families city—cities

Then, he does an activity that requires him to apply that rule to some of the words on his spelling list.

So . . . your child will learn the rules, as he is studying each word list. I really prefer this method because, with word lists composed only of words that apply to one rule, it's too easy to "guess" how to spell them during their test.

Here's an article with more information about spelling and Time4Learning.
    Last edited by hearthstone_academy; 06-30-2011 at 12:41 PM.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

mamalovejoy is offline Junior Member

Thanks! Can you tell me if I would only learn those rules if I could not already spell the word? What I mean is does the program give you a different experience based on how you do on the pretest? Also is there a way to figure out what rules are taught in each unit? My daughter who needs help with her spelling can actually spell most of the words on the 4th grade list already.

Thanks again!
    Vanessa