Starting mid-year?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    macamomma is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Starting mid-year?

We just started our daughter in 1st. grade last week. We really don't know how to go through the lessons since we can never catch up from when school started in August. We feel like we are just doing lessons with no direction. I e-mailed time4learning a week ago for some advice. No response. Since this is our 2 week trial period, I'm disappointed that they did not even respond. Can anyone help with some advice?

Momma Crystal is offline Senior Member

Why do you feel you have no direction? Start where you feel comfortable. Work at a pace that works for you and don't worry about "catching up" or whatever. Time4Learning isn't meant to be caught up with. Everyone works at a different pace and everyone moves up (or back) when they feel the need. It is all on your schedule.

busymomof4 is offline Member

Just relax and don't stress about trying to catch up. The beauty of homeschooling is that we can work on our own schedule. So maybe that means working a little on the weekends or during "vacation". I have a first grader and it is amazing how quickly we get through the lessons. I am a little stressed that my oldest has been doing a review for the last couple of months instead of starting the curriculum for her grade level. I keep telling myself that we don't have to follow the public school schedule. That is one of the reasons I enjoy homeschooling.

Try to have fun and enjoy the process.
    Chris

Wife to Wayne and Mommy to Emily(15), Connor(12), Taylor(7), and Brady(2)

Skool Time is offline Senior Member

I started November last year (grade 1), we did extra work monday to fri + weekends.
    T4L lessons are short so you will be fine, infact we add more supplements, and we ended up fine.

Bryan is offline Junior Member

The first thing to do is relax. I started my son after about 8 weeks of regular school. I looked at how many lessons were in each subject then divided them by the number of weeks until i wanted him to be finished for this school year. It takes him less than 4 hours with breaks included to finish .Then he has lunch (1 hour ), then i have him doing other things for 3 hours. He is learning more now than he ever did in regular school. As long as you keep track of the hours required by your state things should be fine. Hope this helps some.

Rags is offline Junior Member Newbie

We also started our son using this program this November. We just could not handle the public schools anymore. Our son is cognitive disabled, and as long as he was quiet, the school just allowed him to sit quietly through all of his classes. They refused to follow his IEP as well. It was awful. Here is what we did to gage his level- We picked 1 grade level below his to start with. Remember you can do lessons from one above and one below the chosen grade level. Then we had him do just chapter tests from the level below our choice. After passing most of those we had him do the chapter tests for the grade level we choose. When we knew where he was struggling that is where we started. You do not have to finish all of the lessons by the end of the public school year. Remember that you are in control of how much and when. But that is how we started. Hope it helps you. We are essentially in the same boat, just different ages.

Thank you for your suggestions. Our child is also special needs. I have tried to contact time4learning, but they do not respond back. So, I feel like we are just floundering around and picking lessons at random without really knowing if we are meeting any minimal "state standards" for what she should learn.

Momma Crystal is offline Senior Member

What state are you in? What happens if you don't meet state standards? Is there a test your child has to take? What happens if they don't "pass"? Personally I don't care about state standards or passing any tests. I work where my child is at and move on. That is best for my child. The state can go take a long walk off a short pier.

Seriously, start where the child is at. If you think she should be in first grade start at level 1. If she is acing it skip to about half way through level one if you'd like. Still acing it skip to level 2. Or on the other hand if the start of level 1 is too hard track back to about mid way through kindergarten. See how that goes. Not well, go back further. Meet your child where ever she is at!

Thank you for your advice. I do appreciate it.

Cathy is offline Senior Member

Hello macamomma..
    I am starting my kids Jan, after christmas break. they are both in p/s right now. We used t4l last school year and loved it. Here is what I am going to do. I will have them test out of any math they already know. I will just have them do the chapter tests and if they ace it, it will be marked as "mastered". What they dont master, is what we will start with and go in order of the arrows. LA, LA ext, science and ss we will count back from the number of days left in the p/s year and start there. At the end of the year, I'll have my kids do the remaining lessons left during the summer. There really should be that many, maybe 30 or so in LA. I'm not sure how many will be left in math because they aren't going to take the chapter tests untill next week, but I am hoping they master some of it. If not, they will be doing math over the summer

PS I'm surprised t4l didn't respond, I always call when I have a question and always get immediate help. Perhaps they didn't get your email because honestly they are great at responding.
    Last edited by Cathy; 12-05-2010 at 08:29 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast