Starting in the middle of the year????
    RENEE is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Starting in the middle of the year????

I am going to remove my child from public school. He is in third grade and passing as of now. My plan is to homeschool and I have signed up for T4L. Do I start in the middle somewhere since he has already had almost half a year of third grade? Or do I start at the beginning? And is T4L all I need for a third grade education? Thanks in advance for any help, Renee

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Renee. Welcome to the board.

Time4Learning does not have a recommendation, except that it's a flexible program, intended to be used in the way that best suits your child. My own suggestion, if you feel your son is probably at about a third grade level in most subjects, is to just start him at the beginning of the third grade in all subjects.

After a couple of weeks, if he is getting 100% on all of his tests, or if he has difficulty understanding the material, then you might want to consider adjusting his grade level. Starting this way will give you both a chance to get accustomed to the program as it is designed, before you start trying to personalize it.

If you do decide to adjust his grade level later, it's fine to have him in second grade math and third grade language, or whatever will work for him.

Time4Learning is a complete core curriculum (math, language, science and social studies). Many parents like to add penmanship, art, music and so forth. Some of the subjects will include suggestions for additional, optional reading.

You will find that homeschooling takes much less time than public or private school. My children are almost always finished by noon. In the afternoons, I allow free reading, educational board games like Made for Trade, Game of the States and so forth, or videos from http://www.brainpopjr.com , http://brainpop.com or http://www.cosmeo.com . All families will do things differently.
    Since you will be new to homeschooling, be sure and look at Time4Learning's Welcome to Homeschooling Guide.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

HolisticMomof4 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi, We are new too. Just began homeschooling last week! My son 8yrs is placed in 1st gr lang, and 2nd math. This is what we choose to do considering its the 2nd half of the year-not to mention his attention span, I didn't want him to have to repeat much of what was already covered thus far..He is struggles with lang and phonics so i placed him in 1st grade and he is working from the beginning--some is a review but builds his confidence Math comes easy to him so we have been taking the test rather than doing the lessons to see what chapters he has mastered. This cuts the redundance. Science and SS we are just having a great time with, but 1/2grd isn't as intense as 3rd.
    Best wishes,
    Rebecca

NewLifeAcademy is offline Member Regular

I pulled my daughter from public school in the middle of her 2nd grade year. I don't regret it for a second. We found T4L about a year later so we started mid year for T4L and I don't regret that either.